Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike the following is for you, and anyone else interested in the fossiling hobby

Yesterday we surveyed the Edisto river in search of potential fossiling sites.

The morning started well. There was flat water in the Charleston harbor, blue sky, and a perfect air temperature.

Things continued to get better as the day progressed. The launch site was vacant. The water was still or barely moving, the moss hung low from the trees, and a slight fog lingered in wait of the direct sunlight.

The boat was put in the water and the motor argued some, not wanting to wake up after a long sleep, but slowly came around to life. We shoved off and motored slowly down river through the fog. The critters were sleeping-in and the river was lethargic and beautiful.

We searched and searched for the longest time yesterday in the 66 degree water. The underwater video did not work for us, so we probed and probed and dragged a line in the sand. Finally we found what we had come for. We located a long gravel bed. The gravel bed seemed to be about 25 feet wide and about 75 yards long. It is in an area that will provide some very easy, long dives. It is in an area of the river that looks to be very diver friendly. We will return and work this site this season.

We will be on the look out for anything fossilized but will likely find sharks teeth. Most likely Angustiden, some Megalodon, some Ariculitus. We may find Mastodon and Mammoth. I personally will be especially looking for Ivory and Saber teeth. We will likely pick up some petrified wood.

th_100_9550.jpg

Last edited:
Man, after talking with Phill last night, I was ready to go today, lol I seriously thought about going to Good Hope and either diving or dig and sift. I stayed home though and the Wife and I went no a motorcycle ride. We ran into a little rain but lucky for me ,I do not melt in the rain, lol

I NEED to get into the water this coming weekend~!!!!!!! Anyone want to go diving?????

Great news Mike. I put the Mastodon tooth in vinegar today and the vinegar is cleaning off the brown crap on the surface. It is soon to be solid black. I will likely be on Phil's boat the next time he has an available seat. That may be next weekend, and very likely the weekend after. I did not pick up Phil's message until late last night that you guys were on "GO".

The Cooper water temp is listed as 65 degrees. Up from 60 a week ago.

The Edisto water temp was 66 degrees yesterday.

I am going over to Lowe's to pick up some supplies for building another sifter. I want a flat one now.

ps: talked with Phil today and he said he got the closed circuit video working and he is getting out the dredge.

I got a lot done yesterday, got the yard done, got the truck washed

my yard
Overgrown-Lawn.jpg

gone scuba divin

THanks Lee, I think Ill pass on the off shore dive .. And thanks for the invite on the river charter .. I keep my own dive boat on the river I was just lookin for something different .. I guarantee Ill see ya on the river this summer ..

Okay, I made some calls and I am going diving this Saturday with a friend in the Edisto River. I got to get wet~!!!!!!!!

Been going through withdraws here. Had to satisfy my itch so I went for a bike ride and I have my "DIVER" streamer waving in the breeze off my handle bars. Also just changed out my heavy breather on my Harley. Now I just need to find that big 4" Mako tooth and VIOLA~! I'll be all set, lol

Hey, a guy can dream right!?! LOL

To my fellow fossilers, made it back from the caves this morning around 0100. 7 cave dives with about the same amount of underwater time. Over 7000' of caves. Wish that the 2 that passed away in the caves this weekend could say the same. Prayers out to those left behind. Anyway, as we were heading back, could not help but look at the directional signs to Charleston, Cooper etc. while making our way back to NC. Really wanted to take a turn and explain it to the wife and work later. My dive buddy is very interested in diving the Cooper or Edisto. I would like to get him out on a good fossil dive.
Lee, not only nice pictures but you words describing the Edisto site were very good. I could almost feel the cool breeze in my face, the rocking of the boat, the beating of my heart thinking about the dive and the very cool morning fog lifting to a strong sun. Very well described. Now that than lawn is another situation in itself. Look forward to meeting and diving with you guys soon. Take care, fair winds and following seas. Tony

Looks like I,m going to have some openings for a dive on the Edisto this coming Saturday, my scheduled charter switched to Sunday. So lets get wet guys!!!! Capt. Phill

Looks like I,m going to have some openings for a dive on the Edisto this coming Saturday, my scheduled charter switched to Sunday. So lets get wet guys!!!! Capt. Phill

Talked with Lee for a little bit, I am in Phill and I will let you know if a guy from work will go to. He is a cave diver like Tony is but he has been wanting to try his hand at fossiling. I'll call you later tonight.

Hey Tony, after talking to a co worker who is a ver experienced cave diver I have respect for you guys. I honestly do not know if I could do it. I mean if I had to I would but I do not know if I would feel comfortable doing it. I can definitely see how it can be dangerous even for the experienced. Do you ever video record your dives? I will be getting a GoPro this year and shooting video to share with everyone.

THanks Lee, I think Ill pass on the off shore dive .. And thanks for the invite on the river charter ....

you are welcome richie… the offshore dive will most likely be used as a mental escape for me… the dive is not significant… a beautiful day and ocean always lifts my spirit

Now I just need to find that big 4" Mako tooth and VIOLA~! I'll be all set,

I hope you do find a 4” Mako and me a prehistoric ivory tusk. This looks like a good site. We spent 4 hours locating it. I sent over photos and details.

. My dive buddy is very interested in diving the Cooper or Edisto. I would like to get him out on a good fossil dive.

When you need information on Charleston, rivers, scuba store, hotel, whatever, just ask.

Lee, not only nice pictures but you words describing the Edisto site were very good. I could almost feel the cool breeze in my face, the rocking of the boat, the beating of my heart thinking about the dive and the very cool morning fog lifting to a strong sun. Very well described.

Thanks Tony … I use to read non-fiction a LOT. Some must have rubbed off.

Now that than lawn is another situation in itself.

Tony… I do not want to be looking back at my life, while stepping into my coffin, thinking to myself… “man, I should have mowed more lawns” :rofl3:

Count me IN. Gear is packed. Tanks on reserve.

Back
Top Bottom