Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We should have a good day. I will have my camera and will take lots of photos and video. Maybe some neat finds with come off the bottom. At the bare minimum, we will have a 70 degree F sunny afternoon on the beautiful Edisto river. Some days life is good

Looking forward to your report Lee, trying not to be green with envy but I just keep reminding myself that the water will be sub 70, which is to cold for a warm weather dive wimp like me.

Good luck out there.

I am not diving. I will be along for the ride. Just getting out on the water and surveying things. But I will be taking photos, as always ... I usually wait for 70 degree F water. My favorite water temp is 84. I am NOT a fan of cold water. No problem with those that like it. Its just not my cup of tea.

Hit the Edisto river yesterday. I did not get in the water but we had two divers that did. It was a gorgeous sunny day with air temps in the 70's. The water temp was 56 deg F. The divers each had a 120 cube steel tank and got about 2 hours on the bottom. They wore 7mm wetsuits, skins underneath, hood, and gloves.

The morning started in grand fashion.
Diving030_zps50217ff6.jpg

We motored down the river in search of sharks teeth
[video=youtube;zH-hBOYvxk4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH-hBOYvxk4[/video]

The divers prepared. (Ardin)
Diving029-1_zpsd2fc3df6.jpg

Ashley
Diving031-1_zps00e9167e.jpg

One of the dive sites was 56 deg F, fast water, 8 feet deep
[video=youtube;xwNc9_i8Q-o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwNc9_i8Q-o[/video]

Specimens brought back to the boat by the divers
Diving045-1_zps29013740.jpg

Complete tooth. Has all three corners. Serrations stop before the tip
Diving049_zps1506caed.jpg

Diving054_zps55837a1b.jpg

First exposure to the sunlight in who knows how long
Diving099_zps522684ae.jpg

This is what I have named the Edisto Black Beauty. This tooth will clean-up to a shiny black gloss
Diving098_zpsd373b209.jpg

Excellent specimen in my opinion. Not a common find. Will clean up well.
Diving094_zps7817ea9a.jpg

Last edited:
Lee thanks for the report, looks like you guys had a fun day and I am glad you got good weather.
I have to admit that looking at those pictures is like watching a restaurant commercial when you are hungry, that water just needs to warm up about 15 degrees!

Yeppers. Its the time of the year for yours truly to start throwing all his scuba and fossiling gear together and start seriously fiddle-ing with it. My first dive of the year takes me for-evah to find and put it all together again. Glad you enjoyed my posting HeadEast. I enjoy doing it. I am going through a phase where I feel I need to provide information that may be helpful and can also be enjoyable. Not to mention, I always enjoy hearing others perspectives.

These where found at a mineral mine in S.A. I included the pics. hoping someone may be able to tell me what type of shark they came from.
See you topside! John063.jpg064.jpg065.jpg066.jpg

Hello John and thanks for the posting.

I am looking at a reference book titled "Megalodon, Hunting the Hunter". <<< Click for link to book
I am guessing, based on the photos, and description, in the book (page 26-27) that the tooth is Otodus Obliquus. (There are other books and references in disagreement)

Notes in book:

From early Eocene time frame
Length 2-3/4" - 4"
Dated 60 million years
Some believe it eventually leads to Meg but there are well constructed arguments that say not.
If it actually is in the Meg lineage then it would have eventually transformed into the Auriculatus

Lee, Thanks for the link to info. I am trying to identfy it so when I use it for show and tell I know what kind of shark it really came from. I have been saying as of now that they were from a great white.
See you topside! John

No problem John. Its a fun hobby for me. There is lots of debate and constructive argument but if what I posted is true, then the tooth in the photo you posted is the ancestor or the modern day great white. The thing I am getting out of it as of late is apparently people with very large collections can put many teeth in a row and see the evolutionary changes before their very eyes. Somewhat of a visual time lapse of 60 million years of development.

I found this visual representation of the time
frame of our 5 billion year old earth to be of
particular interest to me. They made it with
toilet paper
tptimeline.JPG

Thanks again! My wife works at a school that knows I collect for fun. I was asked to do a show and tell, so knowing what it is would be great! I think I am going to stick with Great White for now, at least untill I can get more info and confirm or
refute the ID in question.
See You topside! John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom