Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As you know I have two Merc,s but I like yamaha,s too. Yamaha made Merc,s 4 stoke power heads for at least several years. Don,t know if they still do are not. If they still are you,d be more or least buying the same motor!

The Merc is significantly less money. The salesman is pushing the Merc, but then salesmen are profit margin driven. For what little I will be using it, I imagine I will be fine with either. I heard they had a design flaw years ago with the larger Mercs and some people got a bad taste in their mouths in regards to the Mercury brand. I am looking at a Lowe L1448MT Jon boat. I like the brand, the width, and tall transom. Nothing worse than seeing water approach the rim of the transom when you accelerate from a start. What are the dimensions on your Jon boat Phil? and by the way, if you hear any scratchin out in the garage... its likely one of your boats gettin restless and wantin to go

mine is 7 1/2 ft at top of gunnel and 18 1/2 ft long boats not the only thing restlust to get in the water. Just waiting onit to warm up and the river to fall.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha ......... I know you and I know you are chomping at the bit! I will likely be working on some of my fossiling tools this weekend. I also have some choice items selected on "LeisurePro" and just sitting there waiting for me to pull the trigger. I saw John (Cola) at the fossils show. He is enthralled with scuba and scuba gear and shark tooth hunting and I feel sure he will be on your boat this season. I don't think Mike is gonna be able to stay away either. I think he will be driving up. I also think Govin outta North Carolina will be back for more. Brian and Steve will probably show up for a weekend also. Vinson may even be back for more. Sounds like we may have us a fossil-head re-union.

Motoring up river on a beautiful spring day
[video=youtube;XZiW5CZDRvM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZiW5CZDRvM[/video]

Admiring Phil's beautiful shark tooth
[video=youtube;HUPGBqhSblw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUPGBqhSblw[/video]

Last edited:
Lee I have run a Merc. 40 for years and had very little trouble with it. I have also run Evinrude and Johnson and I've gone no complaints on them either. Like Phil said Yamaha and Merc's are suppose to be one and the same. So for me it's price and service. I'm going to pull my boat out this weekend, check it over and clean it up. I've got the itch to get in the water BAD! Ya'll have a great weekend and hope we can meet up soon.

Joe I feel sure we will hook up come warm weather, or maybe sooner, who knows. Over the years I have noticed that fossil heads tend to bond. I have never noticed much bonding between scuba divers. I am sure there are exceptions, but scuba divers to me seem to be mostly gypsies. I will probably get some flack for this but its just an opinion. Having seen your vast collection of fossils, I can tell you have gotten after it fairly well over the years.

Lee I'm looking forward to catching up to ya'll on the river. By the way do ya'll ever dive the Edisto Hwy17 inland up river, and if so any luck? I hope ya'll had a great day. I didn't get as much done that I had layed out, but Oh well Pretty Day.

I am working a gravel bed about 1 mile above Good Hope landing. (without scuba). We are diving below Good Hope landing. I don't want to get more specific out of respect to Phil. When I get my next boat I will be working on up the river. I was over to Berkeley Outdoors today looking at the 14' long 48" wide riveted Jons. My next stop is Seels on Savannah Hwy. Been perusing the ads also. I can use my motorized canoe but it is just too damn slow for my tastes. One day I will put my Jetski in the Edisto and do my gravel bed hunting with the ski. When I find one I will come back with the Jon.

Lee you ever see any of the surface run boats running the Edisto? They are made for shallow water,( mud, stumps and logs fill waters ), but not good on sand bars. Something you might want to look at. The new short tail are really nice and easier to operate, but even used they are expenicesive. However the long tail you can fine used much cheaper, but will work you until you learn to operate it. Just a thought.

Yeppers Joe... I have seen em. Thanks for the idea...

The terrain does change significantly in some areas. I use to visit the Morris Island Inlet on a regular basis to ride the waves on my Yamaha Waverunner. There are some gloriously fun waves to ride in that area. On repeat visits I noticed that the sand and terrain changed significantly.

I am learning the terrain of the Edisto. I will take mental note of how much it changes. My suspicion is that the amount of change is negligible. When I am not planning scuba, I take my canoe to the Edisto. I like to go when the water level gauge is reading 1' to 2' of depth. So far, there has only been three locations where I have had to get out of my canoe and pull it behind me. 95% of the time I can ride. I noticed the DNR is using a Mud motor. (how can you not notice, you can hear them coming for miles)

When the water did get shallow, there was still 6" to 1' of water.

The difference water level makes is obvious in the following photos. The water level difference in the photos below is about 7 feet of water

High Water - Note the water is in the trees
100_0470_zps260ec60d.jpg

Low Water - This is the same location as in the photo above.
Note the dirt and grass in the photo below.
The dirt and grass are also in the photo above, but, there is
7 additional feet of depth in the photo above.
100_8804_zpsda73b5a9.jpg

---------- Post added March 10th, 2013 at 11:49 AM ----------

A good report from Kim

Angustidens vs. Auriculatus: How to tell the difference <- Click here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom