Any fossilers wanna show off some photos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Lee! Enjoyed the pic's of the Edisto of last weekend. Made me almost want to brave the cold water.........NOT! Did you ever fine-buy the Jon boat you were looking for and if so what did you buy? I'm sitting here in the house wishing the weather and water was warm so I could go play. I am normally in the water by the end of March, but I don't beleive that's going to happen this year. Anyway hope to see you on the river soon.
Her's a couple of pic's to help stir the blood. 1st was found by a friend of mine right by my anchor, 2nd just a good day on the river.
Picture 001.jpgDSC00611.jpg

The tusk is just way too cool. The teeth are excellent finds. Think I saw a spear point below the Meg and a Mako to the right of it. LOTS of good teeth in the photo. I have a bottle very similar but see through blue. Found it on one of the offshore Myrtle, Civil War shipwrecks.

If I were to purchase today, I would get the second or fourth from the top.
I found these at Berkeley Outdoors. Will probably commit sometime in
April. I am the type that is SLOW to spend money. TOO damn hard
to come by.
100_0993_zps52b551e4.jpg

I would go with the short shaft electric start 8hp Merc

I need to buckle down and finish rebuilding my 140hp
Yamaha 4 stroke. Phil wants to put it, and my jet
turbine, in his Jon boat
100_0576.jpg

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 04:13 PM ----------

Finally figured out what this is. May be obvious to others but not to me. Its title is Isurus hastalis, better known as a lower Mako. This is actually a beautiful specimen at 2.8" and would bring a good price. They are rarely seen at 3"

Diving094_zps7817ea9a.jpg

Last edited:
Lowe boats are good and I like Merc's the only problem I see is Horse power. I think you will need more than an 8hp to push a boat load of gear and people up the river. I think no less than a 15, but probably more 20 or 25hp would be better. Just my opinion Lee, Like you said I too am slow about spending my hard earn cash and I like to get as much bang for the bucks as I can. Anyway it beats a canoe for sure. That's a nice Mako and 3 inch is rare.
Here's a nice Cob point I found in the Cooper a few years ago. Made my Day.
DSC00659.jpg

Well I am glad you said that about the hp. My original plan was to replace my electric on my canoe with a 2.5hp outboard. As of late, I have been thinking 15hp on a 1448 Jon, and then got to thinking about the cost and if I really needed that much hp. I am not planning on using it for Scuba. Heck, I have four Scuba boats, Phils, yours, Sallys, and Johnnys. How many boats does a man need? (DON'T ANSWER THAT) The other item I am concerned with is the shallow water. When I like to go up river for fossiling, there are places where I have to tilt up the electric motor on the canoe, get out and pull it along until the water gets deep again. The electric is easy to tilt but the 15 without electric tilt will be a pain in the butt. Here is a reference I have found handy

Tips for selecting the right size hp outboard motor <<< Click here

Last edited:
Lee I forgot you won't be using scuba and you're right you won't have the weight, but I don't beleive I would go less than a 15hp. The 10 & 15hps we ran as kids you could carry with 1 hand ( Johns-Evinrude ) and as far as holding them up in shallow water......a piece of cake. I had a 14ft fiberglass CMF boat and 25 Evinrude ( NO Tilt ) that I ran for 10 years fishing, shrimping, and diving out of and went places that boats shouldn't go and if you have 3 or 4 people with coolers and stuff the extra hp will sure be nice. Again just my opinion. Oh by the way I have an old 2hp Evinrude that I haven't run in 25 years if you want to tune it up and try it, you're more than welcome to it. I have used it on a canoe and it pushes it very well.

Well I say I won&#8217;t be using scuba but usually as soon as I say something, things change to prove me wrong. I know you are right about the 15hp being a good choice for that size Jon boat. I suppose I will end up biting the bullet and getting what I want. If I don&#8217;t, I will regret it, and I will not be happy. I haven&#8217;t talked to anyone yet about running it in salt water. I ran my 140 horse Waverunner offshore and in the harbor and made some mistakes regarding salt and corrosion. Long story short, I rebuilt the trailer and I am now rebuilding the engine. No regrets. Had LOADS of fun. Would LOVE to rebuild that Evinrude. Thanks for the offer. Problem is I have way too many jobs now. The canoe is just too shaky. I gotta move to a flat bottom eventually.

Lee I've been running my 16ft wareagle with 40hp Merc. in and out of salt water for 15 years with no real problems. When I pull out of salt water my first stop is to stop by the first fresh water landing back in leaving the boat straped to the trailer and deep enough to just about float the trailer and water runs in the drain. I then crank the motor and turn on the bilge pump. This flushes the motor and rinse the trailer. Works good for me.

Sounds like a good procedure Joe. After running my ski in the salt water I would bring it home and rinse it good with the hose. I rinsed both the trailer and the outside of the ski. I then flushed the coolant path with fresh water for about 5 minutes. I have learned the hard way that the insides of the ski need to be rinsed also. In other words, the engine compartment. The aluminum parts of the trailer, and the parts I covered with marine grease resisted corrosion well. The axle, wheels, drums, and springs are a different story. I unintentionally filled the hull with salt water one day and was so involved with finding the cause that I ignored the salt invasion in the engine compartment. NOT GOOD! Fortunately I have some experience with completely disassembling engines and reassembling them. If I were flush with money I would get another ski AND a river boat. I grew up owning and riding motorcycles so the ski to me is like a bike on the water. My scuba gear is relatively new. I have lots of old scuba gear but we will not talk about that. After spending years with 140 horses between my legs the little motorized canoe is just not doing it for me. I got to tell you, sitting on a ski in 6 foot ocean rollers is fun. Its like sitting on a large fishing cork. I got my fun out of it. I have run it pedal to the metal between Durham Creek and the Dam. Rode it completely around Folly Island. Rescued a stranded man off Morris Island. Claimed his sailboat hit the jetties and sunk the day before. LOTS of stories. Maybe can share some more one day on the river!

Lee do you, Phil or Mike ever go to the SDAMP Wing nite. I see it's on James Island this Month at Kickin Chickens Wed. nite 6:30 - 9:00. I was thinking about trying to go.

I am a fan of the SDAMP. I have not started attending their meetings yet. Mike likes the meets. Looks like Cercopely is running the Cooper on the weekend of May 11 and 12. This may be a season starter for him. He is still pumping tanks. Will have em on his boat. Looks like he is targeting 6 divers per day.

Johnny posted this photo:

Cooper River Fossilized Shark Tooth
168522_4650538663792_1305677938_n.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom