Any equipment buying regrets ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the DiveAlert may be one. When I needed it, it didn't get the attention of the boat. I'm on a new trip and there's a slow leak from the push button. The whole thing seems sealed, so I'm not sure if it's user repairable. I guess I could still use it, but it's annoying to have a stream of bubble coming from it constantly.

Agree on the dive alert. I have a couple dive alerts and I think a sub alert that leak or have something wrong with them, and may have also gotten rid of a couple. I've saved them thinking someday I will figure out how to fix them. I thought I saw that they were - maybe simply a schrader valve in there that is the problem? Never managed to get one apart and haven't gotten around to trying again. I like the idea of the dive alert, but the sub alert didn't do much for me.

Agree on the dive alert. I have a couple dive alerts and I think a sub alert that leak or have something wrong with them, and may have also gotten rid of a couple. I've saved them thinking someday I will figure out how to fix them. I thought I saw that they were - maybe simply a schrader valve in there that is the problem? Never managed to get one apart and haven't gotten around to trying again. I like the idea of the dive alert, but the sub alert didn't do much for me.

Yeah, in concept it's good, but implementation could be improved. Someone could come in with a design that allows maintenance. Key word being maintenance, as it seems to need a lot of care. I would clean it after dives and am never able to remove all the water.

I think the DiveAlert may be one. When I needed it, it didn't get the attention of the boat. I'm on a new trip and there's a slow leak from the push button. The whole thing seems sealed, so I'm not sure if it's user repairable. I guess I could still use it, but it's annoying to have a stream of bubble coming from it constantly.

My divealert just started doing this on the last dive. I pressed the button a few times, but the slow bubbling continued. I removed it and placed it in the pocket.
I'm going to leave it there from now on, so if I really do need it I can get it out and connect on the surface. I also have a whistle in there.

No purchase regrets but I do regret not selling unused equipment fast enough. I tend to hang onto it thinking I may still use it.

Yeah brilliant.
I've been watching one of my rebreathers that I have never used nor will ever use
devalue $100 per week for a few years now

but I suppose the other end of the stick is recently I was able to buy a Dolphin for $200

not sure what the stick is doing for me
although I bought one a few years ago for a few hundred

full.jpg

and recently converted it to something worth a few grand

full.jpg

Hum, let's see,

In my first set, the fins were crap (totally rigid) seac f100, switch it with volo race which i do love.
Underwater slate, underwater "bell", we do not even take them with us underwater anymore.

I did like my zoop but did upgrade it for a d6i (for AI, freedive mode and limited gas switch)

My first 7mm used wetsuit, very old school beuchat wetsuit (the old blue one with long john), almost spearhunting suit style, was a nightmare to put on and off. The zipper broke on the top, and the fit was so tight, water did not even came in then....

I did buy "rigid" belts wich i do not use anymore (i do use the bck-lead-pockets), and weight blocker for the belt.

I do regret buying a "platine" for my camera as we finally find it easier to do the photo togother (my wife and i), one for the lighting the other one with the camera.

I probably mentioned this before but here is my regrets from top to bottom

1. First regulators as DIN and happen to be Hiollis DC2 212 with swivel. DIN as first was a bad choice in my region as most if not all rental are yoke. Adaptor made first stage head bumper. DC2/212 is just bad design and low quality in many levels. Highly not recommend Ed.

2. Dive rite transplate harness. The idea of one piece harness seemed uncomfortable and inconvenient. But man, so as transplate. Tried one piece once and never went back.

3. AI computer. Sold transmitter later.

4. AL slingshot fins. Bought for open water in Monterey without knowing better. Too expansive, too bouyant for the condition, too soft for proper finning technique.

5. White fusion tech/sport dry suit. Thought it would be a good suit for cold water and tropical travel suit, but sub optimal in both cases. Sold after one travel.

6. Hollis wing. Butt dump location was wrong. It was behind a regular size plate. If you fully inflate the wing, you can get to the dump.

7. Hollis LED25. Leaked after just a few uses. Hollis took way you long and was not able to fixed properly. Sold as part, but i bought at deep discount, didn't lose too much.

8. Miflex or other flex hoses. I have had two "silent" failures. Both hose look prestine condition. Both leaked. One is miflex. One is from dgx. I swapped back to rubber now.

Yes, quite a lot of bad Hollis experience earlier on when I thought they made quality gear. There maybe a couple more if I think long enough. Will never buy this brand again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom