Any dependable 1.5V AA Rechargable Batteries Out There?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Too my knowledge rechargeable's batteries (NiMH) are limited for saftey reasons to ~1.2V. You get them in a various mAh formats. NiMH and alkaline batteries are good for diving as they will not "explode" like lipo when in contact with water (flooding). Some divelights have lipo batteries, but they are "potted" sealed units.

I just read that NiMH batteries need several charge/discharge cycles to get to full capacity and output. Perhaps that was the reason why my first use of Eneloops were less than stellar.

I just read that NiMH batteries need several charge/discharge cycles to get to full capacity and output. Perhaps that was the reason why my first use of Eneloops were less than stellar.
Eneloops aren't actually high capacity, compared to other NiMH batteries. They are, however, low self-discharge (LSD) batteries, which makes a lot of difference. Non-LSD NiMH batteries lose a large portion of their charge (up to 20%) even only within the first 24h of being charged, and continue to self-discharge as they sit around. After a month, you may have only 50% of charge left. Eneloops don't do that, which means that in many cases, they'll be able to deliver more charge than other batteries when you actually need them.

Nice demonstration of both the advantage of NiMH chemistry and of regulated-LED torches. Too bad they didn't include some sort of incandescent/halogen light for comparison. I suspect that the alkaline curve for that would have headed straight down, unlike the short plateau seen for the regulated LEDs.

Very interesting charts! It seems eneloops are brighter than alkalines after awhile in this experiment, not sure why mine were noticeably dimmer. Maybe I'll bring a voltmeter along for the next dive and measure pre- and post-dive voltages.
What model torch are you using?

What model torch are you using?

DRIS 1k shorties. I carried 2 and my buddy carried 2.

My buddy used new alkalines, I used Eneloops (first charge using La Crosse BC700). His was noticeably much brighter in the water.

I shall try them again, perhaps its true that the Eneloops might needs several charge cycles when new to reach full power.

DRIS 1k shorties. I carried 2 and my buddy carried 2.

My buddy used new alkalines, I used Eneloops (first charge using La Crosse BC700). His was noticeably much brighter in the water.

I shall try them again, perhaps its true that the Eneloops might needs several charge cycles when new to reach full power.
Reality trumps theory... I thought the point of LED driver regulation was to stabilize output vs voltage. Guess that's not the whole story.

Ehm, no. Battery chemistry determines the voltage per cell.

I still dont know of any AA sized rechargeable battery rated over 1.2 volt?!? Maybe you can help me out here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom