Shearwater Perdix battery choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will get the longest runtimes from genuine SAFT LS14500, which are also the go to recommended for cold water. They are not cost effective, but if your Perdix is truly mission critical for your dive then SAFT is the best choice - esp for water temps below 50 degrees. The issue with the 'questionable' bad cells is the SAFT LS14500 (made in France) is extremely popular and used an a LOT of mission critical applications... like luxury handbags, there are a LOT of counterfeit SAFT LS14500 cells (made in China), so much so that Saft has published an article on how to spot the counterfeit batteries that flood the marketplace. More here... DGX No Longer Sells SAFT Lithium Batteries | Dive Gear Express®
That explains a lot re: the "Saft LS14500" that I got from through amazon a couple years ago that lasted like 25 dives before crapping on me.

I can't be bothered with anything but SAFT. I do appreciate the option of universally available Alkalines in an emergency. But I never leave Alkalines in any piece of equipment longer than is absolutely necessary.

There are a couple of considerations for Perdx batteries, while it's true that the computer will run anything that is sized right, there are a few that make more sense than others.

Alkaline or the like would be my absolute last choice when there are no other batteries available.

If the computer is a Perdix 2, then you'd want to make sure the battery can handle the haptics. Not all can.

I currently use rechargeable Lithium 3.7v batteries. They don't last quite as long as the Energizer Lithium or SAFTs, but they are rechargeable. They also work with the "Fuel Gauge" feature. The Energizers (I think) and SAFTs do not as the discharge curve is very flat. With batteries compatible with the Fuel Gauge, you get a pretty good picture of how much charge is left, so there shouldn't be any surprises. Other batteries just have a Good, Warning, Critical status indicator. Flat discharge curves are hard for the computer to pick up on remaining charge, so in some cases go from Good to nothing rather quickly.

Good afternoon, fellow divers.

I recently purchased a Perdix, which arrived yesterday.

In the Perdix manual, it says "Accepted battery types The Shearwater Perdix can accept a wide variety of AA sized batteries. The Perdix can accept any AA sized (or 14500 size) battery that outputs a voltage between 0.9V and 4.3V"

I have seen references to NiMH, alkaline, and lithium batteries. I believe the two I have seen recommended the most are the Energizer lithium and the LS SAFT Li-SOCl2 14500 cells.

I have numerous Eneloop AA batteries, and a few Li-ion 14500 cells. My plan is to use the Eneloops to power my new Perdix, but I am wondering if anybody has used Li-ion cells? If so, how do they perform? Alternatively, are there any reasons not to use them?

I have had rechargeable alkaline batteries in the past, but it turns out those will leak, similarly to regular alkaline batteries.

Thank you for your input.

Have a great evening!

Bob
Is this a Perdix 2? Vibration function will not work with Alkaline. Regardless I only use Energizer Lithium (bulk buy through Amazon).

I can't be bothered with anything but SAFT. I do appreciate the option of universally available Alkalines in an emergency. But I never leave Alkalines in any piece of equipment longer than is absolutely necessary.
Are lithium's alkaline? I think most of us choose lithium because easily available and fairly cheap. As of now $2.50 or so?

I would use Alkalines in a pinch, but swap out pretty quickly

Are lithium's alkaline? I think most of us choose lithium because easily available and fairly cheap. As of now $2.50 or so?
No. Lithium and alkaline are two different chemistries. You can get AA sized lithium batteries in several rated voltages. SAFT are 3.6V, rechargeable 14500s are 3.7V, and Energizer Lithiums are 1.5V.

Alkalines are 1.5V like the Energizer lithiums, so the Energizer lithiums can be used in anything that takes a standard AA 1.5v. Energizer also makes Alkaline batteries, so make sure it’s the lithium battery.

The danger with alkalines is that they are known to leak when the voltage gets too low. Lithiums aren’t prone to leaking.

I just changed the batter in my Perdix 2 for the first time. Given the sticker Shearwater is now placing on the original Energizer Ultimate Lithium battery that is installed at the factory, I'm not sure they could make it any clearer!

IMG_6494.jpeg

IMG_6492.jpeg

IMG_6493.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom