Any cruise ships at the atolls?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Thinking about a week or so diving in Belize. I actually dove Belize about 25 years ago, and enjoyed it then, when tourism there was not very developed (stayed on Caulker, did day trips to the Blue Hole, slept overnight on Half Moon Caye, etc). Now, I'm thinking of going back, and taking Mrs Nwflyboy.

I have no interest in the party crowd, so I think San Pedro/AC is not for us - although having a choice of restaurants is nice, I'd gladly trade that to get away from the "club scene". We're looking for superb diving, nice accommodations, and don't mind paying a bit more for that. We don't need (or want) what passes for "nightlife", shopping, or packaged "resort" experiences. Wake up, eat, dive 2 or 3 times, eat, sleep, rinse, repeat, etc. is what we're looking for. So I'm thinking that one of the atolls would be the best combo for us.

One extra issue: I detest cruise ships (having seen what they have done to Cozumel and other places that I once loved). No offense meant to those who enjoy them, they are just not for me, and I want to stay far, far away from them.

My question for the cognoscenti with much more recent experience in Belize than mine: are any of the atolls afflicted by cruise ships?

We're not looking to "rough it" (far from it - we don't mind luxuries: hot showers, good food, good service, and even air con, are all appreciated), but I want to be sure that our atoll experience is not invaded for half a day by a few thousand drop in visitors. Advice?

Thanks.

I am interested in hearing the answer to this. I recently started looking into places to spend our 25th anniversary. I have kind of zeroed in on Turneffe Island Resort. Looks very nice. There are several trip reports about the resort. And it doesn't sound like it is a cruise ship destination.

Actually, what prompted my question was their web page. The main aerial photo of the island shows a dock that looks disturbingly large. I kind of doubt it - it looks like a very small island, but cruise ships do stop at places that are (or were) pretty much in the middle of nowhere (i.e. Mahahual, Quintana Roo), and I just want to be 100% sure. If I was enjoying myself there at TIR, and saw some Carnival Princess of the Sea sail up to the dock, I'd probably want to shoot myself.

The short answer is no, but I can never do just a short answer, lol.

I've stayed at Turneffe Island Resort, last summer being the second time, for a total of three weeks. The closest we came to a cruise ship was when I went to the mainland on a Wednesday to check out the Belize Zoo. On the way back to the island, we crossed paths with one as we were leaving Belize City. Dang, those ships are huge when viewed up close.

The 14-acre island is way too small to support a cruise ship, so never fear. The dock isn't as big as it looks in that aerial photograph. Only the TIR boats are allowed to dock there, so you can rest assured you won't be trampled by any cruise ship crowds. As Hank49 can attest, even small boats aren't allowed to dock, barring some sort of emergency. TIR is very protective of its guests.

Eat, sleep, dive, rinse, repeat is a pretty good description of what you'll do there. Someone else once described it as "summer camp for adults," and that sums it up nicely. The island is very nice without being pretentious. Nightlife is whatever you can make of it, from sitting out on your deck to playing checkers at the lodge to hanging at the bar until you're good and sloshed or just hitting the sack after a fun filled day of diving. There's a television in the lodge if anyone wants to watch a movie on DVD but it's rarely used. Otherwise, no telephones, except the one in the office in case of emergencies, no radios, no tv's.

As far as the other stuff, the accommodations are very nice, the food's great, the outdoor screened-in showers are hot and the diving's fantastic. I'm not sure about the indoor showers as we've never used them, lol.

As far as the other two resorts out that way, Turneffe Flats and Blackbird Caye, I haven't personally stayed at either but I'd be very, very surprised if they catered to the cruise ship business. Way out of character for what their guests are seeking.

Have fun! We'll definitely be back in the near future.

Last edited:
We don't need (or want) what passes for "nightlife", shopping, or packaged "resort" experiences. Wake up, eat, dive 2 or 3 times, eat, sleep, rinse, repeat, etc. is what we're looking for.

That description fits Huracan Diving on Lighthouse Reef to a tee.

We're looking for superb diving, nice accommodations, and don't mind paying a bit more for that.

Would it bother you to pay less? Considerably less? Then you might take a look at Huracan Diving.

We stayed there for a week in March because it was the only place we could afford as it was about $700 per person cheaper than anything Turneffe had to offer. Sure you have to give up luxuries like a pool and air conditioning but what they offered in return left me wondering why anyone would stay anywhere else. The lodge has only 4 guest rooms for a max total of 8 guests which coincidently also happens to be the maximum number of divers on the dive boat (+DM of course). The rooms were nice (spartan, but tastefully done), the beds comfortable, and the food was very good. If you need entertainment, there is a TV/DVD/Xbox system in the main hall but in the week we were there, nobody ever bothered to turn it on. The main source of entertainment begins with a firm grip on your mask and regulator and a slow roll backward...

Most dive sites were within a few minutes of the dock so most surface intervals were spent on shore. The longest ride was to the blue hole at approximately 20 minutes where they stay for two dives, diving both the north and south sides. Half Moon Key is visible from the dock so it doesn't take long at all to get there and to its associated national park dive sites which are some of the most spectacular in Belize. And did I mention a maximum of 8 divers on the boat? (Oh yeah, I think I did.) We got lucky as there was only one other couple the week we were there which made for exceptionally nice diving.

Overall, the island is quiet and very relaxing and makes for an excellent vacation. I honestly can't imagine staying anywhere else when I go back to Belize. And BTW, we never really missed having A/C. And why pay extra for a pool when there is a big beautiful ocean all around you?

Last edited:
Thatch Caye is a lovely place, that I think would meet all the OP's requirements. He could also consider Tranquility Bay at the far northern end of Ambergris Caye.

NWFLYBOY your needs will be met with either the Belize Aggressor III or Sun Dancer II. The BAIII tends to be the older crowd as it cost more. Both boats dive the same sites. We were on the BAIII last week and had great time with great diving. Lots of Eagle Rays and Turtles. No party crowd. Great food. Up to five dives a day.

Hugh Parkey handles most of the cruise ship business as they pick up and drop off directly from the cruise ship. Otherwise your interaction with cruise ship passengers and ships is relatively minimal as opposed to Cozumel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom