Any 0.5mm or 1mm Full Suits Still Available?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm... price is right... The foot stirrups look like they're integrated into the legs, though. I always cut the stirrups off of suits like this, because I pull the cuffs over my booties. Is that going to work here?

That could work. The suit is made so you can wear it under another wetsuit, but I'm sure you could clip them and sew the legs.

That could work. The suit is made so you can wear it under another wetsuit, but I'm sure you could clip them and sew the legs.

The Henderson Microprene suit I've got now has normal taped and finished cuffs, and had the stirrups sewn into the cuffs separately. All I did was cut the stirrups off, and didn't have any raw edges to deal with.

So the Mares stirrups are integrated into the legs?

You mean polyolefin? Yeah, I've been seeing some of those advertised, to include by Henderson. Price is right.

I guess that's the name, yeah. Different manufacturers probably call it differently. When I first bought mine (8~9 years ago) it was very close to $300 I thought it was excessive but went for it. Since then, I've put a couple of neoprene suits on the "no longer usable bin" But this skin still performs as intended.

I'm just used to neoprene -- know how it behaves, feels, wears... and I'm not familiar with polyolefin at all...

Understandable... once you find something you enjoy, why take chances?
I use neoprene also, many times over this skin. I think it improves the thermal protection.

Is too bad we can't tell in advance how much we will like an item at purchase time. If I knew there would be many times I'd buy 2 of the item and be ready when it wears out or gets lost.

Good luck in your search

The Henderson Microprene suit I've got now has normal taped and finished cuffs, and had the stirrups sewn into the cuffs separately. All I did was cut the stirrups off, and didn't have any raw edges to deal with.

So the Mares stirrups are integrated into the legs?

They are integrated. Looking at most of the .5 and 1mm suits on-line, looks like most of them are made with an integrated stirrup.

I tried on a thin Scubapro suit at Ocean Divers in Key Largo not too long ago. I think it was .5mm, and I noticed they had a full size range of both men's and women's in stock. Abyss Dive Center in Marathon also carries them, although they only had men's in stock. So it seemed like it was a current item, although I'm not positive about that. It's one that has nylon outside over most of the suit, with a skin-out area on the chest.

Understandable... once you find something you enjoy, why take chances?

Oh, don't get me wrong... I'd seriously consider polyolefin. It's just strange.

Absorbs water, right? That's why it's not bouyant. But does it keep water from circulating through? That is, is it snug and stretchy?

And... um... does it handle that-which-people-don't-admit-to-doing-in-a-wetsuit? :D

And... um... does it handle that-which-people-don't-admit-to-doing-in-a-wetsuit? :D

That sounds like a suit I tried years ago marketed as "polartec". After a year or so, it tried to walk away all by itself. I found it much harder to destink than neoprene.

Absorbs water, right? That's why it's not bouyant. But does it keep water from circulating through? That is, is it snug and stretchy?

I didn't meant to challenge you with the: why change? For many things I follow that.

With that said, it does absorb water, almost in the same way wool absorbs water. Is not damp to the touch like cotton or other fabrics may feel.

The Henderson I have for many years, so depending on my weight fluctuation has been perfectly snug to flapping in the wind, which is why I decided to get a second suit (custom of an almost identical material),

It doesn't stretch much at all. I turn it inside out and dries very fast. Now unless I have a drysuit I pee about 3 or 4 times per dive, I do, don't deny it. I work with sailors in all kind of boats and I'm sick of having to hold it... when I dive, I pee.

So anyways mine don't smell. Maybe the fact that each time I do it I turn upside down and flush it with the second stage in my neck, (the flushing is as pleasant as the peeing) Then right after the dive, I take it off and rinse it in the ocean.

Formal fresh water rinse at the dock doesn't happen all the time, it gets a splash as the boat is being wash, then the sun dries it and is ready for the next dive.

I do the same with neoprene suits and I keep them stink free. Wish I could do the same with gym shoes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom