Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Constant progress:

I originally started out with test #2 (of three on @Johnoly's masks he sent me) as just a whiz-bang rocket launch. However, this opened an opportunity to learn something. Need some safety stuff...

Hardware.jpg

Stay tuned.

Edit. Manufacturers use different processes, and materials to make mask "Lenses,"
if you will.
Regardless, the factory film on the new lens is susceptible to fogging. I suggest the old tried and true toothpaste....... Colgate.
Because, of it's granular texture it is helpful for removing the factory film. You may have to scrub it a few times (With your fingers, of, course.) for a few dives. Wether, your mask is "New." or new to you....The application of "Colgate." is extremely helpful.
Another, "Minor." occurence is "Temperature." When passing through a Thermocline the change of temperature degree, could potentially fog your mask.
Your body temperature (Face.) can even cause your mask to fog.

What I do, and have done for 20 years is..
Upon entering the water, I crack the seal of my mask and allow approximately 3 Tablespoons of water in my mask.
I have a level line of water, that runs across the bottom of my mask. The amount of water needed will vary by mask, and may not even work with some designs, or low volume mask.
When, and if my mask fogs.....I look down (Without taking my mask off.) keeping it horizontal, I move the water around on the glass.....by tilting my head in whichever direction is necessary.....like butter in a saucepan.
As you descend, and the pressure increases.....the water will be forced out, you may have to crack your mask again, to allow a little more water in.
Personally, I don't like the smell of Anti-fog, and think it's a waste of money.
I also use "Dawn." to clean my mask before diving....typically will last the whole day.
Note* Many Dive equipment manufacturers have been making mask for decades. You would almost think they would remove the film, or spray it with the Super Duper Fog Inhibitor. I don't believe there is anything that is 100%
Cheers.
Hey Thanks for the tip. It worked great for me.

Progress Report:
I have 6 masks, 2 don't seem to fog, 4 do, a lot. Tried all the usual goops and liquids and soaps and spits; no happiness.
Put all 6 in the dishwasher. Same 2 don't fog; same 4 still do.
All 6 are now sitting with white ammonia liquid in them. On Saturday I'll rinse them out, put them back into the dishwasher, but can't try them out for a couple of weeks (next trip to local quarry).

Progress Report:
I have 6 masks, 2 don't seem to fog, 4 do, a lot. Tried all the usual goops and liquids and soaps and spits; no happiness.
Put all 6 in the dishwasher. Same 2 don't fog; same 4 still do.
All 6 are now sitting with white ammonia liquid in them.
Sweet! Keep the faith and tell it like it is. I can't wait for your unbiased input.

Meanwhile, I'm way down another rabbit hole. @Johnoly donated ten cheap masks, and as he said, nothing more than a couple of hours of work in the water. He (along with several others) have some skin in this. A few hours in the water is no small thing to me in this world of keyboard divers. That is real to me so my responsibility in return is to make his donation worthwhile to him. I can amuse or I can enlighten. I choose to attempt both. (More research on my part.)

The parts (cleverly chosen to go into my working stock after this test) arrived. BTW, McMaster Carr rocks.

Parts.jpg

.. He (along with several others) have some skin in this. ...
As a harvester, I work a lot of hours above the water also to help other water lovers. I initiated the re-write of the lionfish license rules in Fla. I spend days in a room with the scientists on the lobster migration data, and also provide supplies & data to the lemon shark scientists.

Lowviz, you also have gone above and beyond what anyone else has coordinated before on ScubaBoard with mask testing. And I know from talking with them, that several mask manufactures and 2 dive magazines are reading your project's posts. They have come back to me to ask questions quietly because fogging is a huge problem. There are a lot of views( & eyes) on your project.

When I sent the box of masks to you, it was purely to expand the sample size to the outer edges. Because new solutions come from samples way out there and sometimes you hit the lotto. ScubaBoard readers have been duplicating your methods and finding success and that is exactly what “Giving back” is all about. We provide tangible help that you can physically touch to provide actual new results and benefits to divers. That is where you and your project just shine !!

After trying several things. Burning, dishwasher, baby soap, spit, defogers, and different kinds of toothpastes I kept fogging up every time I went for a dive and it was warm outside.

Only thing I found that works, and it works the best is Paradontax tooth paste.
I'm guessing that since the paste contains sodium bicarbonate, it has to do something with that. Since I've tried different toothpastes with mixed results

Next please tell me how to return my once clear mask skirt to it's pristine state again.

As a harvester, I work a lot of hours above the water also to help other water lovers. I initiated the re-write of the lionfish license rules in Fla. I spend days in a room with the scientists on the lobster migration data, and also provide supplies & data to the lemon shark scientists.
Keep the faith.

We will wrap this up, I have some goofing to do in your honor, but let it be known that a plastic lens mask has been soaking for quite a while now. Either way, that will be the cherry on top of this thread...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom