Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know.

However, your concern is also why I'm beginning to favor @lexvil's approach. (just a bit of ammonia on the inside of the mask...

New product suggestion that nobody can patent as it just became public knowledge: Alkaline 'lens-seasoning' cream that slowly releases ammonia.

Lots of ways to do this, the manufacturers can take it from here...

How about this for frameless masks: Ammonia solution in the mask, covered with polyethylene sheet (Saran Wrap) to contain evaporation inside the mask. Otherwise keep the exterior ventilated to prevent damage to the non-silicone and glass components.

I haven't done the following, however I think it would make a decent repair if needed.

I'm biting my tongue and will just say that that seemed like a LOT of work just to save yourself from carrying a spare mask (and inspecting your mask strap and buckles semi-regularly).

that that seemed like a LOT of work
I agree, but is one has an irreplaceable mask they "really love" and something happened to it the repair is worth knowing about.

I'm afraid I have another casualty of science.

I put this one in the ammonia bath Sunday a week ago, after I took the previous batch of 5 out. I took this one out last night. As you can see, the plastic insert that held the lenses in fell out. The lenses themselves are loose. Once again, this was while in the bath. No agitation or anything. It just sat there for a week and fell out sometime along the way.

Also, you can see some black marks on the paper towel to the left. That is where I rubbed the actual frame of the mask. The black stuff was coming right off on my hands as I handled the mask, taking it out of the solution. This morning, it's dry and i can see that the mask frame used to be shiny all over and now the places where I rubbed it are a dull finish. Now that it is dry, the black stuff does not come off on my fingers anymore.

This is a different brand than the last dead soldier I posted. So, again, I am going to email the manufacturer and give them a chance to respond before I name names. I have not heard anything back from the manufacturer of the previous one. I'm going to email them today and give them one more opportunity to have a voice in this conversation.

View attachment 582985

And, a response from this mask's manufacturer. Not quite the same reaction as from Dive Rite.

First, I want to say that I actually emailed this mask's manufacturer before I did the ammonia bath and this is how that conversation went [somewhat excerpted]:

Me: Is there anything I specifically should not use? Is ammonia-based glass cleaner okay? What about straight ammonia?

Them: I would recommend a 1-5/10 ammonia water solution over pure ammonia. This should not cause any damage to your mask.

Me: I’m unclear on what “1-5/10” means. Does that mean 10% - 50% ammonia?

Them: Sorry, the format there was weird you're correct, 10%-20% ammonia, or 1/5 to 1/10th.

So, I'm taking it that household ammonia is (to my understanding) around 15% actual ammonia and should be safe to use on my mask. But, I acknowledge that I asked about an initial cleaning. I did not say that I was going to soak it for a week.

Anyway, this mask is a Hollis M-3. After emailing Huish about its failure, I got a reply from the same guy there that sent those earlier messages. It says:

Unfortunately ammonia is known to attack certain types of plastics and can become corrosive. It is safe to use on the lens but the skirt damage is a result of the ammonia bath. I am sorry we cannot offer a replacement.

Pretty much as expected. Which, to me, just highlights how above and beyond the customer service is from Dive Rite, for the other mask.

I agree, but is one has an irreplaceable mask they "really love" and something happened to it the repair is worth knowing about.

Granted. Even then I might consider using thin bungee. Or maybe a small Quick Link.

Or just finding a mask that is still in production, to replace it with... :D

Just my opinion but if someone has some emotional attachment to a piece of dive gear they should leave it safely at home, masks are pretty expendable in my opinion.

I just pulled my minimus out of ammonia yesterday after a week and it did in fact ruin the buckles. Plastic went brittle and junked. I emailed Mako and they gave me a full refund including shipping. Didnt even ask for it. Just wanted to share my fit issues and the ammonia results. Top notch biz! Cressi makes some replacements but I'm not sure they will fit but look quite similar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EIF47K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I just pulled my minimus out of ammonia yesterday after a week and it did in fact ruin the buckles. Plastic went brittle and junked. I emailed Mako and they gave me a full refund including shipping. Didnt even ask for it. Just wanted to share my fit issues and the ammonia results. Top notch biz! Cressi makes some replacements but I'm not sure they will fit but look quite similar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007EIF47K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Why not just get a replacement Mako? Did you not like the mask (ruined buckles aside)?

And, a response from this mask's manufacturer. Not quite the same reaction as from Dive Rite.

First, I want to say that I actually emailed this mask's manufacturer before I did the ammonia bath and this is how that conversation went [somewhat excerpted]:

Me: Is there anything I specifically should not use? Is ammonia-based glass cleaner okay? What about straight ammonia?

Them: I would recommend a 1-5/10 ammonia water solution over pure ammonia. This should not cause any damage to your mask.

Me: I’m unclear on what “1-5/10” means. Does that mean 10% - 50% ammonia?

Them: Sorry, the format there was weird you're correct, 10%-20% ammonia, or 1/5 to 1/10th.

So, I'm taking it that household ammonia is (to my understanding) around 15% actual ammonia and should be safe to use on my mask. But, I acknowledge that I asked about an initial cleaning. I did not say that I was going to soak it for a week.

Anyway, this mask is a Hollis M-3. After emailing Huish about its failure, I got a reply from the same guy there that sent those earlier messages. It says:

Pretty much as expected. Which, to me, just highlights how above and beyond the customer service is from Dive Rite, for the other mask.

More feedback from Hollis. They are stepping up in a way I did not really expect. They said:

"The mask will hold up to an hour in an ammonia solution without any trouble 99% of the time. Extending that time however increases the risk of something like this happening. As you have been such a loyal customer with us, our brand manager has authorized me to offer a replacement mask as long as you can provide proof of purchase for this mask as well as a few photos of it 'field destroyed'. Please let me know if you have any questions."

So, props to Hollis/Huish!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom