Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a new frameless mask and burned the lens, washed the inside and skirt with a pad and dawn dish detergent for a minute or so, then soaked in ammonia (lemon scent) for maybe 6 hours. Rinsed several times and still smelled like cat piss. Let is soak over night in clean water. Next day, treated with baby shampoo solution and went diving. Applied more shampoo solution before each dive. No fogging and no objectionable odors.

Perhaps the soak can be shortened?

I just pulled my mask from the ammonia bath.

buckles fell apart in my hand.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that ammonia is okay on glass and silicone, but not good on plastic...

So, the question is, if you just put ammonia inside the mask, so it's only in contact with the glass and inside of the skirt (thus, not touching any plastic), does you need to put the whole thing in a sealed container? And if you do, does the ammonia vapor still screw up the plastic.

Based on the buckles on my Mako mask that had a white crust on them after being in a closed container but sticking up out of the ammonia, I'm going to say even ammonia vapor poses a risk to the plastic.

I still like the idea, so i put ammonia just on the inside, had to prop it up a bit to get good coverage. Left it to air, so should not have to worry about vapors on plastic hardware.

new one should be here by the time bu is finished, if no problems, will repeat with new mask.

I just pulled my mask from the ammonia bath.

buckles fell apart in my hand.

I think I'm going to wait and see your further experimental outcomes before doing the ammonia treatment to my masks ...

Zeagle scope back together, looks like this worked well on this one, I rested the lenses on the locking inserts while soaking for 3 days.
DDAB6B4D-8DCB-46B4-9B6B-13183BB35DC2.jpeg
D5CBE5F5-31A3-4467-A29A-24F6D5AC8EF5.jpeg

@lexvil I'm glad that the locking inserts don't seem to have been damaged by the ammonia!

@lexvil I'm glad that the locking inserts don't seem to have been damaged by the ammonia!
It was part of the test, since I have another set I wasn’t worried about it and was curious, they seem to be a delren (sp) nylon sort of material. The Tusa Paragon has a coating so I haven’t decided if I want to risk that one, I’m leaning toward not since I have had any big fogging issues with it and it fits perfectly.

I got a new frameless mask and burned the lens, washed the inside and skirt with a pad and dawn dish detergent for a minute or so, then soaked in ammonia (lemon scent) for maybe 6 hours. Rinsed several times and still smelled like cat piss.

Since urine is about 50% urea, and urea is formed from ammonia and CO2, should we just piss in our masks ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom