Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Refresh my memory as to why four, rather than only one, will be untouched.
OH! Maybe this:

I tend to be highly literal and test in an orderly fashion. Four will be untouched [AT THIS STEP], four will be pre-cleaned and then we move to the next step. Reference treatments to one side. Following that, we 'agree upon' test treatments to the other side. They will all contain a 'test side'.

I can't overstress the value of good experimental design. The battle is won or lost at this phase.

After you toothpaste, use the blue Dawn dishwashing detergent. It is a good surfactant. I periodically use it to re-wash my masks.

I thought people used baby shampoo because of the "no tears" aspect. I guess just to be sure if there is any residue that it wouldn't irritate the eyes.

the sooner one enters the water post secret antifog formula application
and well before it dries on the glass
the better

the glass must be wet

without the mask having been basking in the sun

I thought people used baby shampoo because of the "no tears" aspect. I guess just to be sure if there is any residue that it wouldn't irritate the eyes.

The Dawn it not for use when diving, only cleaning. Rinse thoroughly with warm water afterwards to remove all residue.

the sooner one enters the water post secret antifog formula application
and well before it dries on the glass
the better

the glass must be wet

without the mask having been basking in the sun
The surfactant being allowed to dry on the mask will not reduce or eliminate its surfactant properties. What will diminish its effectiveness is being rinsed away. The more you rinse the more you remove. You can put baby shampoo on your mask the day before and it will work. I don't but I have. We find it lasts longer if we do it as soon as we get on the boat. If it dries a bit it tends to not rinse away as easily.

Reactions: Dan
Friends, we're getting away from the intent of this experiment. Dish detergent, shampoo, anti-fog solutions are intended for pre-dive treatments to prevent mask fogging and a subject for a different thread. The experiment in this thread is related to treating a new mask in order to remove residue left over from the manufacturing process. The residue is the culprit that makes the pre-dive solutions less effective. Unfortunately for the purpose of this thread, some of the same products are used in both applications so it's leading to a bit of confusion.

@lowvis My vote for the toothpaste is whichever is the most popular therefore most likely used. (Probably Colgate regular)

A follow up could be the length of time a mask treated in what is determined to be the best treatment to get rid of manufacturing residue before it needs to be treated again because of residue buildup from storage. Should it be stored in an airtight mask box, shoebox, drawer, open air, etc. I add this because I thought I did a pretty good job in treating my new mask in December and was able to dive fog free all week. Then I put everything away for a couple of months until yesterday when I had a pool session. Fog city!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom