Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind the effect of high surface tension of water (air-water interracial tension) would overcome the water-contaminated glass interfacial tension and lead to the water to form itself into tiny water beads (i.e., fogging on the glass). Coating surfactant such as baby shampoo over the contaminated glass surface would make the contaminated glass surface behaving like a “cleaned” glass surface, which water-surfactant interfacial tension is overcoming the water surface tension and resulting water film coating the mask instead of fogging it.

The following video clip shows how strong the water surface tension that any surfactant needs to overcome.

My hypothesis is if we coat the rim of the glass cup in the video with baby shampoo, the water would spill over the rim after dropping less number of pennies than the one in the video.

For the record.

I've just had to prepare 3 new masks. My method

1. Flame
2. Wash with warm soapy water then dry
3. Toothpaste scrub - use toothbrush for edges
4. Clean and dry, then wear exhaling through nose and observe for patched where it mists 1st
5 Re toothpaste scrub. Clean.
6 Apply baby shampoo (100%) wait for 5 mins, rinse wear and check

As long as I don't get any patches of fogging I'm good, it will fog in a uniform manner but I know that's not representative of how it will be underwater

Coating surfactant such as baby shampoo over the contaminated glass surface would make the contaminated glass surface behaving like a “cleaned” glass surface
Yes, this is my concern too. I also see the value in both protecting the newly cleaned surface AND making the test as 'real world' as possible as couv brought up a bit earlier. I would like to try a dilute solution sprayed onto the newly cleaned glass, wait a given amount of time, then either let dry OR spray rinse and then let dry. I'll ask for input soon.

1. Flame
2. Wash with warm soapy water then dry
Thank you for your participation!

You also are the first to bring up how the soot is cleaned off. We should seek some agreement on that too. Maybe same soap as used for defog?

Yes, this is my concern too. I also see the value in both protecting the newly cleaned surface AND making the test as 'real world' as possible as couv brought up a bit earlier. I would like to try a dilute solution sprayed onto the newly cleaned glass, wait a given amount of time, then either let dry OR spray rinse and then let dry. I'll ask for input soon.

Thank you for your participation!

You also are the first to bring up how the soot is cleaned off. We should seek some agreement on that too. Maybe same soap as used for defog?
Carefully remove the soot, do not grind it into the glass with a paper towel as an attempt to help clean the glass. I completely ruined a mask doing that. Who knew carbon soot would scratch the hell out of glass???

One thought about the mask test. Do you think that treating each mask with two methods would be of any value? By that I mean treat one side with flame the other side with Ajax/Comet/toothpaste whatever. Alternatively, treat only one side and leave the other untreated as a control. This way you can be assured the test are done on identical samples.

Aside:
How's grandpa's salivary glands feeling this week? :)
Ha! Overlooked that on first read. Thanks!
Do you think that treating each mask with two methods would be of any value? By that I mean treat one side with flame the other side with Ajax/Comet/toothpaste whatever.

Yes. Soot flaming and toothpaste seem to be the commonest methods. I would suggest three areas on one of the lenses. Flame, toothpaste, and no treatment. That way, each mask carries its own internal reference.

All: Keep challenging the test design, nearly have something written up that can be picked apart...

I'm very curious how your tests are going to turn out. I have had a few masks and tend to flame them now, although my first mask I just used toothpaste. I only use spit on mine for defog (typically) and never have a problem with fogging. Until I met *my* MFH which is actually the Minimus mask. That thing has been flamed 2x, toothpaste-scrubbed, and it still fogs up like crazy. I've never experienced this with my other masks before. And I even have tried baby shampoo and commercial defoggers on it, since I primarily want to use it as a backup mask (I haven't found a way to spit on the mask underwater).

My dive shop recommended an anti-fog called Fog Kicker, which you put on the mask at least 30 mins ahead of time, and I've found that works pretty well for the MFH. Which is good because it's really a great little mask. However, I still feel like it is generally more prone to fogging than any other mask I have. I feel like I failed with the initial "cleaning" step.

Please share if you find the Minimus masks more difficult to "clean" than the other ones.

@laikabear, I would find that mask to be of significant value for testing along with the seven new Minimus masks that I now have.

Full Disclosure: I ended up testing Minimus masks as @MAKO Spearguns donated two new masks, totally unsolicited. That set the standard and others donated more Minimus masks for testing. Everyone else's mask will end up back home, I keep the two from MAKO. I have no association with MAKO other than having bought several items from them (at listed price) and am happy with all my purchases. Comparison to other mask brands is not the intended test result.

Offer: Call Mako, give them a code, and they will send you a new Minimus. PM me for the code and my mailing address. I'll PayPal you the shipping cost for you to send your MFH to me for keeps.

Back
Top Bottom