Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A follow up could be the length of time a mask treated in what is determined to be the best treatment to get rid of manufacturing residue before it needs to be treated again because of residue buildup from storage. Should it be stored in an airtight mask box, shoebox, drawer, open air, etc. I add this because I thought I did a pretty good job in treating my new mask in December and was able to dive fog free all week. Then I put everything away for a couple of months until yesterday when I had a pool session. Fog city!
My experience has been if they are stored in a more or less airtight container the fogging problem comes back. This makes me believe that the silicone is offgassing onto the glass.

My experience has been if they are stored in a more or less airtight container the fogging problem comes back. This makes me believe that the silicone is offgassing onto the glass.

Hmm that makes me wonder if treating the glass before putting the mask in storage would eliminate this problem

A possibility

I don't see this because my masks are thrown in the relevant pigeonhole on my dive store - not to say it isn't an issue.

For me, the flame and toothpaste is enough As long as I give a bit of a baby shampoo treatment before a dive I'm good If I'm rushed with students it might only be on the mask for 30 secs before I rinse - or it might dry if I've done it ahead of time.

If I'm in the pool one mask clear will wash off the treatment and I'll fog

If I'm in salt water then I can do a couple of full floods before fogging starts

If I apply baby shampoo to wet glass it's not effective.

My new mask got the treatment I detailed some posts ago, it went in the sea with me while I was safety diver on a PADI day - I was underwater for 2 hrs without a fogging issue. So I'm happy with my approach

Hmm that makes me wonder if treating the glass before putting the mask in storage would eliminate this problem

Why not just give it a quick clean with toothpaste before you pack it? It could be off gassing of teh silicone, or or the plastic box or even contaminates in the atmosphere

I can pick a mask of the shelf that hasn't' been used for 6 months or more, give it a quick clean and it's all good - but I don't store them in the plastic boxes

OK. Colgate Regular is the test toothpaste.

@laikabear 's mask is no longer a MFH, so a new one is on the way. This is very convenient as we now have eight new test masks. (and 10 plastic ones) Half get a dishwasher treatment and half are untouched before testing.

Each treatment will be done on a new mask and repeated on a dishwasher cleaned mask.

I'm now collecting the abrasives that have been previously suggested. Once I have what I can get, we can discuss which to use.

Once I have what I can get, we can discuss which to use.
You do realise that I'm about to depart for 3 weeks diving (so this thread would be of no use if my mask wasn't clean)

I'm confident though the discussions on how to do it will still be going on at my return :):p:D

JFDI springs to mind...

Good thought. Prime it with baby shampoo after the dive. I just store mine in a fin pocket and never have a problem after initial cleaning. but a friend kept his identical mask in a plastic bag for 4 months and the fogging was back.

OK. Colgate Regular is the test toothpaste.

@laikabear 's mask is no longer a MFH, so a new one is on the way. This is very convenient as we now have eight new test masks. Half get a dishwasher treatment and half are untouched before testing.

Each treatment will be done on a new mask and repeated on a dishwasher cleaned mask.

I'm now collecting the abrasives that have been previously suggested. Once I have what I can get, we can discuss which to use.
Including Comet?

Thought I’d add a little something to the discussion.

When I was first certified, my instructor told me to take either Comet or Ajax and put some on the lens, add a few drops of water to form a paste, and then scrub with your finger until you think it’s going to fall off. Switch fingers and repeat.

Not only did this work for me, but I have done this method for several of my friends who have had problems and this fixed it for them.

Now it’s just a basic boat spray or mask defog before dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom