Anti-anxiety meds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Webb

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
In my short time diving I (sometimes) (rarely) find myself a bit anxious. This passes quickly and I've never (ever) felt as though I would panic and do something stupid.

I take a common anti-anxiety medicine in very small doses in everyday life but haven't done so while diving yet.

Question: does anyone take anti anxiety meds when diving?

Before people get upset. I am not a risk taker, I always dive with a group and I rarely find myself below 40ft in depth.

I'm just thinking my (prescribed) meds might help me relax and enjoy the dive more.

My wife does. She spoke with her doctor before she started diving, her doc saw no reason for complication. In the last decade of fairly frequent diving, she hasn't seen any side effects from it.

I am not a doctor, and that is who you should be asking the question to.

That said, anxiety for new divers, especially those who are past the invincible age is common and often passes with experience. My understanding is these meds generally slow you down so you may have reduced motor function and decision making, but 40 ft reef dives in good viz are about as benign as it comes and rarely require advanced skills. Those who do have accidents from those types of dives are often self inflicted. I.e. lost buddy panicking and running out of gas.

Talk to your doctor, but know there's likely no major side effect that if you take it your going to immediately die because you're scuba diving.

I am not a doctor, and that is who you should be asking the question to.

That said, anxiety for new divers, especially those who are past the invincible age is common and often passes with experience. My understanding is these meds generally slow you down so you may have reduced motor function and decision making, but 40 ft reef dives in good viz are about as benign as it comes and rarely require advanced skills. Those who do have accidents from those types of dives are often self inflicted.

Talk to your doctor, but know there's likely no major side effect that if you take it your going to immediately die because your scuba diving.

I agree with your assessment that sometimes these meds can slow motor skills and impair decision making in some cases. However I have extensive experience with them and in my case they actually aid me in the area of decision making and motor skills because they let me remain calmer and more focused and in control.

You're right though. Doctor is the one to consult here. Just taking a shot to see if anyone else has experience using these kinds of meds on dives.

I agree with your assessment that sometimes these meds can slow motor skills and impair decision making in some cases. However I have extensive experience with them and in my case they actually aid me in the area of decision making and motor skills because they let me remain calmer and more focused and in control.

You're right though. Doctor is the one to consult here. Just taking a shot to see if anyone else has experience using these kinds of meds on dives.
Have fun and get a bunch of experience. Repetition builds confidence and eliminates anxiety.

I've dove with guys who are paralyzed from the waist down. A buddy of mine is an exceptional deep diver (200+ fsw) and he lost his legs to a boat strike while diving. There's very few thing we're afflicted by that force us to not be divers. A little anxiety med likely isn't one. :wink:

ETA: Deep diving and narcosis might have more of an effect. Something to consider. I don't know.

I think it would depend on which meds you're taking. I take beta blockers and antidepressants and have no problem diving with either. In the past I have also taken quetiapine and done a few dives while on it....not sure I'd want to do that long term. I have also taken ativan for a short period of time and would definitely not dive while on that. As others have said, best to consult a doctor, preferably one who understands the effects of diving.

It could be that, the mess make narcosis worse especially since they make you slow in thinking.

100% go to a dive(!) doctor before you take them. Or/and call Dan.

In my short time diving I (sometimes) (rarely) find myself a bit anxious. This passes quickly and I've never (ever) felt as though I would panic and do something stupid.

I take a common anti-anxiety medicine in very small doses in everyday life but haven't done so while diving yet.

Question: does anyone take anti anxiety meds when diving?

Before people get upset. I am not a risk taker, I always dive with a group and I rarely find myself below 40ft in depth.

I'm just thinking my (prescribed) meds might help me relax and enjoy the dive more.

this is a great question that many divers may be uncomfortable asking in a public forum. so thank you.

i would love to know if you find any relavent medical/scientific info that discusses this.

i would say that if you have never had any serious issues while diving without using your meds, then why bother taking them? many of us have had to deal with anxiety while diving. it is something you need to learn to identify before it becomes a problem in the water and deal with it. for some of us it is just part of diving. but i agree that if therewas a way safely control some of this, it could be a huge benefit to some.

i would also suggest that your dr would not be competent enough in this area to give appropriate advise. as suggested above....can D.A.N. to start your search for an answer. let us know what you find.

Back
Top Bottom