Another question about petty theft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm planning to take a minimal amount of gear with the exception of my driver's license and maybe some cash and of course the key to the truck when my wife and I head out for shore diving. I've done a fairly comprehensive search of the board, and it seems like there are two types of recommended solutions:
1) A waterproof container to store keys/IDs during the dive
2) A lockbox that is shackled to the vehicle.

What I'm interested in is:
1) Have you been burgled or incurred damage to your vehicle/belongings?
2) Which method has FAILED for you, or someone that you know about?
3) Could you get away with taking no ID/credit card/cash with you or is that a bad idea?

I like the idea of a lockbox that I could shackle to the brake pedal (hardened steel), but then I read about Hawaii where they just take bolt cutters. Am I overthinking the sophistication of the thieves? Alternatively, the waterproof container sounds good, and I heard that you can put an ID in a small dry bag, squeeze out as much air as possible, and it should be pretty safe from water leakage.
most credit cards and drivers license s are waterproof already. If you use a small dry bag and push air out you can attach and put in bcd pocket and all will be good. As for the key most rentals in Bonaire do not use fobs so key can go with cards.
I have seen and had windows broken if there is anything visible in truck so take key and leave windows open and doors unlocked. The most I leave is a couple of bottles of water and have had them taken at times.

Windows down unless it's gonna rain, doors unlocked, wet cash spends just as well as dry, credit cards and DL's are not bothered by water. Only real issue is electronic key fobs. They will require a waterproof container.

If I drive, I take a driver's license. If I exit the room, I generally have some money on my person. Those fit in a water proof sealable pouch on a lanyard around my neck. Yes, the seal might fail and water get inside, which happened to me once...and that should not destroy the contents.

The truck key (with fob), hotel room door key and room safe key have to go somewhere. A truck key with a fob goes in my DryFob, which has worked so far and appears to be good quality. The other keys can go in the pouch around my neck if need be...but some keys show some rust after awhile, if regularly in salt water.

I like the idea of a lockbox that I could shackle to the brake pedal (hardened steel), but then I read about Hawaii where they just take bolt cutters. Am I overthinking the sophistication of the thieves?
Bonaire truck thieves are unsophisticated. If they see two trucks, one with a backpack lying on the seat--and unbelievably some people still do this--and one with nothing interesting visible, guess which one they will go for and then run. I doubt they stick around a parking area for very long. I recall seeing the aftermath of just such an event, with a smashed truck window, and a trail of junk between the truck and an opened backpack lying in the scrub.

One guy in our group likes to take his iPhone when we're out diving, and his solution is a thin lockbox that attaches with a cable. He loops it through the truck's seat leg and tucks it away under the seat, out of view. It's not resistant to anything remotely approaching bolt cutters, but I suppose the idea is that the first line of protection is that a thief has to look under the seat, when there may be other vehicles around with interesting-looking stuff in plain sight. Obviously the second line of protection is the belief that most Bonaire truck thieves carry no tools at all. If there are plenty of rocks around to smash windows with, that's less conspicuous than walking around carrying a hammer or other tools. I would be willing to bet money on near zero percent of Bonaire truck thieves carrying bolt cutters. There aren't a whole lot of getaway routes at most sites--they need to be inconspicuous. Some thieves may arrive in vehicles, but my guess is most are teens on motorbikes, bikes, or on foot.

We have not had anything taken from our truck in our 7 or 8 (I forgot) visits. Except for the guy I mentioned who has, at least in more recent trips, taken his iPhone in a lockbox, we don't leave anything of value in the truck--just the typical ratty t-shirt, flip-flops, cheap hat, jug of water, cheap cooler, etc. Key fob is taken diving in a waterproof container. ID and money, if they don't fit in the container, go on the dive and get wet.

Our only incidents occurred at our lodging. In one incident, they burgled our place while we slept, got the truck key, which we had stupidly left on the kitchen counter, and made off with the truck and some dive gear. Two teens taking a joyride, and the police quickly found them.

This is why they need to nip crime in the bud. When I was there in 1990, they were annoyed that I locked my room at the Carib Inn because housekeeping never had a key and had to go to the office. No one locked anything and even VCRs and stereos sat within an arm's reach of open windows. I guess I'll never visit Bonaire again. Sounds like a PITA.

We use a dry fob for keys, cash and a credit card. I have not had any issues with my cheap flip flops, sunglasses or hats getting stolen. Instead of keeping them in a bag, I scatter items throughout truck bed, cab, cab floor etc. My theory is that it takes more time and risk searching for the other matching flip flop etc. than worth the effort. It has worked so far.

9 trips to Bonaire, 280 dives, always follow the truck recommendations. No evidence truck has ever been messed with. I've seen glass from broken windows at several dive sites though.

This is why they need to nip crime in the bud. When I was there in 1990, they were annoyed that I locked my room at the Carib Inn because housekeeping never had a key and had to go to the office. No one locked anything and even VCRs and stereos sat within an arm's reach of open windows. I guess I'll never visit Bonaire again. Sounds like a PITA.
Wow, if you have not been there since 1990, why go now?
Yes we stayed at Bruce's in the 90's and it was unbelievable. Lenny changed things and Omar gave it another blow. Things were looking pretty good last year and hope the SCLTD does not take hold.

Truck item theft has been a thing since early 2000. I remember one time in 2000's they were stealing gas from trucks by punching a hole in the tank with a bucket under.
One night someone hit a diesel truck in front of Carib. I guess they didn't check it was diesel and did not like what came out. Must have been 10 gal of diesel on the ground. It stunk all week!

Glad they don't do that anymore.

Wow, if you have not been there since 1990, why go now?
Exactly. But I had wanted to go back.

Bonaire and any other place that survives on tourism should think about recruiting some early retirees from the NYPD and LAPD to play sheriff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom