Another question about petty theft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire and any other place that survives on tourism should think about recruiting some early retirees from the NYPD and LAPD to play sheriff.
That can make things worse instead of better. The precautions to minimize risk of petty theft from rental trucks are minor, widely known and don't get in the way of many divers doing many dives.

Let's say for sake of argument the Bonaire police or some other agency decides to expand the police force to crack down on petty shore diving theft, perhaps with 'sting' operations, etc... Then what?

1.) Hiring law enforcement officers costs money. Enough to so thoroughly police the west coast and 'get the word out' would cost some serious money.

2.) The few thieves they caught would cost money to incarcerate.

3.) Many visiting tourists would respond by carrying more valuables in their rental trucks and leaving doors locked and windows rolled up, encouraging more theft and break ins.

4.) Many tourists would develop a greater sense of entitlement and react more extremely when theft and/or truck break ins happened to them.

5.) Locals, who probably don't have perfect police protection, either, might resent funds being directed to benefit the tourists over themselves.

6.) The marine park pass we already pay for would go up in cost to cover the added expenses, effectively automatically robbing us all.

Or...you can leave your truck doors unlocked, windows down, and no substantial valuables in the truck aside from tanks, which are generally considered safe.

And what more are people going to carry around? A cell phone, a cooler with some sandwiches or similar, etc...?

P.S.: My comments are about petty theft from parked rental trucks during dives. Not room theft, gas theft, etc...

Going back fourth time next week. We leave old sunglasses, water, and $40 or so somewhere in the truck out of sight. I usually leave the key under a rock. I do not leave it unlocked (go ahead and scorn me....)

I do not leave it unlocked (go ahead and scorn me....)
Your choice, but your rental contract probably says if your window is broken and your car was locked, you pay. So much easier to leave the car unlocked.

Your choice, but your rental contract probably says if your window is broken and your car was locked, you pay. So much easier to leave the car unlocked.
I agree....I think we were told last time to leave unlocked and windows down if no chance of rain.

I basically do that and leave nothing behind that I would be pissed if it disappeared. I had a pack of crackers stolen once and I was pretty hangry though. :)

Exactly. But I had wanted to go back.

Bonaire and any other place that survives on tourism should think about recruiting some early retirees from the NYPD and LAPD to play sheriff.
In the grand scheme of things it's just a minor inconvenience....as long as you don't leave anything behind no big deal. The diving outweighs this IMO. Never have I felt unsafe on the island.

I run and ride bikes..... and thieves in the states have the same thing figured out. They know you just left and aren't going to be around for a bit and it's a remote area.....smash and grab. I do the same thing for the most part...leave nothing behind.

Here in hawaii I personally use a hitch safe. I’ve also seen the others used

D0F61704-FFDF-4FD1-B939-1EF47EA08C33.jpeg

AAA8158D-48D7-4CDB-A604-09FCE9D64379.jpeg

0BF7F201-5405-4748-A0DA-FB23F06F142B.jpeg

How would they know it was unlocked?

Thanks to this thread I may decide to go to Bonaire after all, especially since I might have figured out a way of paying for my trip.

Thanks to this thread I may decide to go to Bonaire after all, especially since I might have figured out a way of paying for my trip.
I think you should. It’s great, convenient diving. The thing to keep in mind is that this is not a Caribbean thing. I don’t know of any backcountry hiking area in the US that doesn’t, still, have the same problem. When I lived in the Seattle area in the 90’s, the first thing we did when we pulled into a trailhead parking area was look for broken glass. If there was some, on to trail B.
So, follow the great advice you’re reading in this forum, and relax while you’re blowing bubbles!

Erik

I think you should. It’s great, convenient diving. The thing to keep in mind is that this is not a Caribbean thing. I don’t know of any backcountry hiking area in the US that doesn’t, still, have the same problem. When I lived in the Seattle area in the 90’s, the first thing we did when we pulled into a trailhead parking area was look for broken glass. If there was some, on to trail B.
So, follow the great advice you’re reading in this forum, and relax while you’re blowing bubbles!

Erik
Erik, I think you missed the sarcasm, LOL!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom