Another PONY Q!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyboy08

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So your slinging a pony doing recreational dives. The pony is strictly for OOA emergencies for anyone in our group of divers...The divers are mostly on O2, i'm wearing a computer set to Ean 32.

I'm diving Nitrox....what air should go in the PONY? Why?

Are you filling specifically for the dive or are you keeping it filled for general use?
Good Q...general use.

I'm diving Nitrox....what air should go in the PONY? Why?
If it's for OOA, then air. You can't tox on air and it's safe at any recreational depth.

Im a bit confused with the term genreal use. I would never use teh pony in a gas plan or bottom time calculations. it would be for emergency use. for that,,,, air would be fine.

Mine will always have air. As some have said, it is for emergencies and not figured in for gas brought with me. The only time it gets used is if it’s been a year and time for a vip then I will use it to work on rust spot removal at the bottom of my pool before it goes in for vip.

Im a bit confused with the term genreal use. I would never use teh pony in a gas plan or bottom time calculations. it would be for emergency use. for that,,,, air would be fine.

I'm using general use as a counterpoint to being filled specifically for the dive. Something that is kept filled and brought along to variety of conditions. You'd want an air mix that's safe in the widest range of potential dive profiles.

If, however, you knew that you were going to be diving somewhere with a 90' hard bottom, diving with the tank filled with say 36% could potentially help off gas nitrogen a little faster, especially if you have an emergency near NDL.

My pony is filled with air, but, I have thought of filling it with 32%. I generally dive within recreational limits. I always dive nitrox.

I want the most versatile gas possible in an emergency air supply. Ideally (hypothetically) normoxic trimix but commonly air.

We can fix bent, but an oxtox at depth with two divers out of air would be a nasty situation.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom