Another PLB thread-split from Oklahoma couple goes missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks
I carry two DGX 600 lights that have a strobe mode. Trying to find out what the burn time is in that mode.
I've thought about having a dedicated strobe if I start night diving again.
DGX estimates 5 hours in strobe mode and their estimates are conservative. Might test it myself

I use a Garmin InReach Mini, I had the original now I have the "2" in the dive housing. Another advantage to the InReach over a PLB is if you take a Cruise and intend to dive when in port you will not be allowed to bring your PLB on the cruise ship as they are banned, but you can bring your InReach. It also has a lot of uses outside of diving as it is a GPS/Satellite communicator after all.

I just don’t want to pay InReach subscription for having such device.

Actually even PLB is an over kill and bulky since you need to put it in a waterproof canister. Just get you the Nautilus nexGen that would last for 100 hours and waterproof up to 400 ft depth as is.

My PLB1 has reached 7 year life. I’m not going to send it out to OceanSignal to put a new battery in it. I’d just let it collects dust in my drawer.

I was with the MV Fling last year at the FGBNMS when the ship broke a mooring. (The NOAA installed u bolt in the sea floor broke). The sea state had increased significantly between jump and recovery and made for a VERY sporty recovery. Had this been at night, different story. Be prepared, it can happen to you too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom