Another PLB thread-split from Oklahoma couple goes missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've gone to carrying a Garmin inReach Mini 2 in their dive housing. I have it in my pocket on every offshore dive with a strobe and storm whistle. It uses satellites for communication, is monitored 24x7 by an emergency command center, and I can also text my location to a number of pre-programmed contacts including my wife who then always knows how to reach those I'm diving with. I can also take it with me when hiking or biking in remote areas.

I think it might be better to rely on a PLB, rather than God. 🤔
I can’t quite believe that my post got bumped to this new thread. So, are we to take it that threads about lost or missing divers should never mention PLBs, but talking about God and miracles is just fine? Shame on you Scubaboard.

However, it did give me an idea for my avatar😂😂😂

I carry both PLB & PAB when I go bluewater diving.
Great ideal............, in terms of gear placement and being streamline, how do you wear these? Is one of them strapped to your wing/bcd harness and the other one in a pocket?

Great ideal............, in terms of gear placement and being streamline, how do you wear these? Is one of them strapped to your wing/bcd harness and the other one in a pocket?

I put them in my BCD left waist pocket. My 6-foot tall DSMB in right waist pocket. Clip the leash carabiner to the waist D-ring right outside the pocket zipper. When I need to deploy it, I just unzip the waist pocket zipper and pull out the string with the devices out of my pocket without being afraid of any of them to fall out into the abyss.

I've gone to carrying a Garmin inReach Mini 2 in their dive housing. I have it in my pocket on every offshore dive with a strobe and storm whistle. It uses satellites for communication, is monitored 24x7 by an emergency command center, and I can also text my location to a number of pre-programmed contacts including my wife who then always knows how to reach those I'm diving with. I can also take it with me when hiking or biking in remote areas.
what strobe are you using?

couple other things i like about the garmin inreach minis- the preset messages are free so you can text "your ppl" anytime while offshore just to tell them you are ok (or not), and you can get a get a weather forecast specific to your gps location. you can even request a marine-specific forecast though it costs a buck or two extra i believe

We have strobes made by Jotron now Daniamant which when we bought them were pretty much the only ones out there for diving. Great unit but the burn time is short, 8 hours. Today I would probably look at the Tektite Strobe 200.

Many flashlights have a strobe mode. I like having a dedicated strobe.
Thanks
I carry two DGX 600 lights that have a strobe mode. Trying to find out what the burn time is in that mode.
I've thought about having a dedicated strobe if I start night diving again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom