Another PLB thread-split from Oklahoma couple goes missing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okie_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be adding a PLB to my kit. I carry a small makeup mirror in my bcd for signaling in the sun and an smb but those wouldn’t do much good in the dark. I can’t even imagine what that 36 hours must of felt like.

Saved by carrying a dive light. Recently I think it was off the North Carolina coast someone was saved by carrying an SMB.
Both good tools to carry but if you seriously want to be found, carry a PLB. I don't leave home without mine.

Please do not turn this thread into a PLB thread.

I won’t turn this thread into PLB thread and this post will be my only time to mention a better and more immediate solution than PLB, it is PAB (Personal AIS Beacon), such as Nautilus Lifeline. People can read up more about it, here: Nautilus LifeLine nexGen available

PAB uses marine radio channel 16 AIS & DSC that most boats use to communicate with each other. Had they launched their PAB MOB (Man Over Board distress signal), their boat would have located their GPS location pretty quickly without the need to call Coast Guard.

I carry both PLB & PAB when I go bluewater diving.

IMG_9707.jpeg

So according to their FB, they both had a Nautilus PLB.

Nautilus Lifeline is NOT a PLB. It is a PAB. It sends MOB (Man Over Board) VHF (30-300 MHz) marine radio signal to any boat equipped with AIS / DSC (Google what they are if you’re interested) within few miles. So it’s surface to surface signal, unlike PLB that sends 406 MHz signal vertically towards the sky to SAR satellites, which is monitored by NOAA and relaying the lost-at-sea signal to Coast Guard. So, PAB will send signal to nearby boats, no Coast Guard required.

Wow, the one time you need something extremely crucial to work, and it won’t work.

You need to test the unit before the trip. That’s the yellow button is for.

On the older model, if you open the cap underwater, you could flood the unit. It’s good to read the manual & understand how to use it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom