Another pee valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff Kruse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I have a new drysuit with a apeks pee valve. So is the proper procedure to go verticle in the water, open the valve do my business, then close the valve? do you have to go verticle or does it matter?
thanks
Jeff

If it's a balanced p-valve (pretty sure it is), just leave it open and let it flow. Horizontal, vertical, upside down, whatever takes your fancy.

Position has no bearing. Leave it open and pee on everything.

Agree with stiebs that if it is balanced, then it doesn't matter. Just make sure you open it before nature calls, and since it does not need to be closed, I just double-check mine as I don the suit.

For unbalanced ones, you want to avoid having an air bubble inside the tubing. Easiest way to do that is to open the valve and let a little bit of pee out before descending. Orientation does not matter at all. But once you have descended more than a few feet, you're best off holding it, because it might take more pressure to relieve a kink than it does to unseat the catheter.

Whatever you do, make sure that you keep it clean. I keep a squeezable bottle (like a soft ketchup bottle) full of alcohol in my truck, and give it a quick flush after disconnecting. Some people prefer vinegar, or plain water, or other liquids. As long as you get most of the pee out the same day you use it, it'll be fine.

It doesn’t matter on balanced or unbalanced

Ok sounds like fun. How do you know if it's balanced?

Kind of better to do a small pee early to make sure that it's all open and not kinked. Just ensure it's open on the surface when you climbed into the drysuit.

Oh the disrobe-of-shame when the catheter leaked and your entire suit's full of weeeee. Happens to the best of us!

make sure you check its open and theres no kinks in tube and the catheta is not glued shut -getting back pressure back up your urethra/bladdder can lead to an infection if its not kept meticulously clean - very nasty !

so I bought the quick disconnect for the tube. Is it better to put the Qd fitting right on the condom or put a piece of tube and then the Qd fitting

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom