Another pee valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I’ve done for many years …

Put the QD “female” on the pipe so when the “male” barb is not in place, the pipe is sealed.

When you pack the drysuit for your dive, remove the barb and put it with your catheters.

On the boat, take the catheter, lick the barb (as in spit/dribble on it), insert barb into catheter as far as it will go. Then roll the catheter on the old chap with the barb.

Put on drysuit. Route the pipe over your waistband on your “dress” side and connect the barb to the pipe and CLICK the quick disconnect together.

Neck a pint/50cl of water. Enjoy the dive.

When out and ready to get out of the drysuit…
Unzip the top of the drysuit, arms out. Stand at the back of the boat with a bottle of water. Reach down the front of your undersuit and pull out your old chap so that the tip of the catheter (containing urine) is outside. Pull the pipe and barb out, so it comes out of the catheter. Shake it out and put it away for gods sake man!

TKe a large mouthful of water from the bottle. Put the barb — still connected to the pipe — into your mouth and blow the water through the pipe, blowing air through. Repeat a few more times. Disconnect the barb to seal the quick disconnect.

When home, hang the drysuit up and click the QD open. Blow through the hose to change the air to let it dry.

so I bought the quick disconnect for the tube. Is it better to put the Qd fitting right on the condom or put a piece of tube and then the Qd fitting
Female side on the tube, male on your tube. Cut the cath tip so it is the same length as the QD barbs and you're set. The female should be the type that closes when not in use.

Does anyone make a disconnect valve that shuts off both parts when disconnected?

Does anyone make a disconnect valve that shuts off both parts when disconnected?

Basically there's two types. That one, with the shutoff valve when it's disconnected (one side only, so shake the urine out of the catheter teat and the barb!). Or the version without a shutoff valve.

N.B. both look very similar from the outside. The non-shutoff valve version is cheaper.

Why? There shouldn't be more than few drops in the cath side
Stops the piss leaking out of the hose into your suit :oops:

Or... pull the catheter off the barb, shake the excess off the catheter, put the barb in your mouth and blow (don't suck :wink: ); all the fluid will be blown out of the tube. However, some drips may remain.

Therefore it's far easier to take a gulp of fresh water and blow that through the pipe, flushing the urine. Do this for half a dozen times or so to clean it through.

I use an open flow quick connect at the cath.
I use a dry break, or shut off style on a short extension hose to the suit hose.

The open flow is nice for hitting a restroom after getting prepped but not in the suit yet. Think road trip to the water or the boat.

The dry break is nice so you don't get the hose draining into the undergarments when you do open it. A drop or two, yes, but not the whole hose of pee on yourself.

The dry break in the hose just makes it easier to suit up, you are not trying to go layers deep to plug the junk in. Or unplug it. And just unplug the extension hose when at the proper facilities.

I get my quick disconnects from McMaster

I think he meant cath side, not the suit side. I hope everyone knows to put the female dry break on the suit side...

Stops the piss leaking out of the hose into your suit :oops:

Or... pull the catheter off the barb, shake the excess off the catheter, put the barb in your mouth and blow (don't suck :wink: ); all the fluid will be blown out of the tube. However, some drips may remain.

Therefore it's far easier to take a gulp of fresh water and blow that through the pipe, flushing the urine. Do this for half a dozen times or so to clean it through.

Listen to the wise bearded dude

They do make one that closes on both ends when you separate them. I just bought one a few weeks back. Got it on amazon. works great. You can find the name of it on that other pee valve thread. I can't seem to find it. Jeff

Back
Top Bottom