Another Noob 'What should I do' thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the reason the hoses rout like that is you have the tank turned around; the valve is typically on the diver's right, with the yoke knob pointing away from the diver's head. If you turn the tank around all the hoses should rout normally. Am I missing something here?

Ironically, I always dive with the tank turned the way you have it, so that the valve is on my left. I do it because it's the only way I can keep my large 1st stage (MK15) off the back of my head. (My flat BP puts the tank very close to my head) On my set up, I have 2 HP ports and a swivel so it was a breeze. But it's not the normal set up, so I'm not sure why it appears you have yours set that way.

The tank has a J valve so there is a knob on both sides. The first stage is facing the camera with the yoke knob facing the fish tank.

So if I turn the tank around will I get laughed out of the water?

It's funny I didn't even notice the aquarium; I see the bucket of instant ocean there...we could start a whole new discussion about that, as I'm also an aquarium buff. Anyhow, like I said, I always dive with the yoke knob facing my head, and I'm still alive! The question I have is why is it like that on your reg, with the HP hose on the "wrong" side with the yoke knob facing in the normal direction?

Thats what I want to know!!

I think I would like to get these regs serviced and tuned up by someone that Knows them, anyone? I thought they were junk but after searching around a bit they actually have quite a following. Cool.

I rotated the tank around and it sort of made all the hoses too short. I am considering a 7 foot hose on the primary second stage and doing the necklace thing for the octo, then I only need to buy one hose.

Hey Brandon,

Hang onto that Conshelf and get it serviced if needed. $200 for an overhaul sounds very high to me even if you're paying for parts. Methinks the dive shop wants you to buy a reg from them... Maybe someone on here can recommend a shop in your area that can service your reg.

Anyway, if the reg is reliable, there are lots of other things for you to spend money on... How about some diving? Then a rescue class. And a drysuit, since you're in BC. I'd put all those things before getting a new reg just for the sake of an upgrade.

Cheers,

Anthony

If you do go the "technical" route then all your regs will need to be DIN. DIN conversions are available for the conshelf but they are very expensive ~$100. I know that because I bought one. In retrospect I should have just bought an Apeks DS4 first stage.

The TX50/ATX50 is used by a lot of tech divers.Absolutely no need to go with anything beyond that.

I'd much rather spend some money on diving.

When I asked about servicing I dont think the guy took a breath after telling me $200 and before starting in on a Proton sales pitch. Granted new things are cool, but I got this thing and I've never even used it.

I spoke with a Phil (diveshop owner in Alabama) from the board that said he could get it all fixed up, hopefully I will talk with him in more detail tomorrow and maybe even send them off.

What do people think of my 7 foot hose and necklace idea, would that be strange on a recreational diver?

It's my understanding that if I did purchase a XT50, ATX50 or XTX50 I would need to buy a matching octo since there is something different about the first stage and niether of my regs will work with it.

I use the long hose w/ my Conshelf's no complaints. Occasionally folks will comment about the long hose, but it works well. $200 sounds like a very high price. The parts kits I think run around $15 for the seconds and $25 for the first.

I think the reg you have now is good but the hard breathing has me stumped!When was the last time you took it in for a good servicing?:confused: Also back in my day it was a reg. of choice for the diver's in my unit. I used one back in the late 80's and found it to be great.:D In fact I would like to buy one, not a lot of dive shiops around so I look on E bay and other sites, might have found one in MS, MScuba.com, has a gear for sale area.

But back to the breathing, you weren't at a 100' were you, with your buddy breathing off of your octo. were you??:11:

GTRio:
What do people think of my 7 foot hose and necklace idea, would that be strange on a recreational diver?

No stranger then a whole other bunch of various colored gear. :)

I dive such setup.

Back
Top Bottom