Another Newbie 'What About This Gear?' Post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read the fine print with the LDS make sure you find out what is all included in that promotion; materials, certification fees, transportation, ect. Also ask around about that LDS and the instructors there to determine if you are signing up with a reputable shop and instructors, that deal could go sour if they do not have a good reputation.

As stated you can read all you want online but what is comfortable for you may not be any of the items you read about. For your first set you want to try everything on see if you can test it out in a pool first, I have gone through lots of different gear configurations, I have bought a lot online and when I tried it I did not like the fit/feel of some items.

As for the SCUBAPRO True Fit mask you have listed I have two of them and love them, the only thing is and have had other colleagues say the same it it takes a few dives for the skirt to fit properly , seems odd but has been the case for both of mine and have no issue anymore. The mask skirt is nice and soft especially the nose pocket; I have used the original spectra masks before and the nose pocket was to stiff for me.

The SCUBAPRO Seawing Nova fins great choice, I do love them light weight and almost the same power as the jet fins, just make sure you are getting the new generation and not some old generation that they are trying to push out of stock. but still you need to make sure these feel comfortable for you. Also make sure you test fins out with different booties as some fins have stiffer foot pockets and may not be as comfortable with one boot.

Cressi I am personally not a fan of but do not have much experience with their products so I can not comment on your BCD selection. Again try it on with a tank in the water make sure it fits well the shoulder straps are comfortable, also how it floats when inflated.

I your SCUBA course you instructor will go over equipment, but also keep in mind he will steer you towards what they sell in the shop, the items may not suit you well so go to other shops ask, look, touch.

I do not know anything about the brand of REG you have chosen but this is something you definitely want to be able to try out as it may not be as easy to breath from vs a basic SCUBA PRO MK2 and R095 reg set which are good starter sets for a little more than the one you listed. The other one is Aqua Lung calypso these are considered the work horses for rental gear, they are both quite durable and provide decent breathing ability. You will also want to consider the ease and cost of maintenance, find out what shops near you can service the regs and if you travel a lot the ease to find parts. I have seen some cases where some of the lesser known brands cost more to service than the well known ones or sometimes the shop may not be able to service it as it is hard to get the parts. This may be a piece of equipment you may want to wait on first and try a few different reg sets out.

Dive computer, you can get wrist stop computers quite cheap now this is one item I would highly suggest instead of always renting a computer.

Hi Joshua,

Buying scuba gear is like buying most things. For example, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. Also, a dive shop is a business. They are there to make money. Some will be only interested in making money. Others will be interested in making a customer (which helps to make money). I've seen shops which stay in business by selling new divers crappy gear and giving them bad training. When that diver goes out and dives with other, more experienced divers, they find out they have been taken. At that point the shop doesn't care because they have your money. Be careful this does not happen to you.

There are other shops which sell what they believe is good gear but there is better gear for YOU out there or someone else can sell you the same gear for less. This isn't great but it just means you might over spend a little.

Some shops will sell you all the gear at a 'discount' if you buy it before the class and they'll give you the class for free. They tell you they are going to sell you a $2500 set for only $1800. You later find out that you could buy the entire setup for $1200. So the 'free' class isn't really free. You paid $600 more for the 'free' class.

What I wish I knew before I bought equipment:

If it doesn't fit it is worthless. This is really true for masks and wetsuits. You really need to try on a mask to see if it fits. If you are lucky you'll find a $30 mask which fits perfectly. If you are unlucky you might find only the $80 mask fits you. A good dive shop will be able to have you try on 2 or 3 masks and get an idea what works. I usually wear a kids mask because I have a narrow face.

Most the time you want to try the gear before you buy it. You might try it and find you hate it.

If they are using a free class to sell gear then you are either getting your money's worth (free) or the gear is overpriced. I'd find a shop that has good training and pay for good training. You can always hunt around and find good prices on gear.

In most cases, keep it simple. If you are going to buy a $1000 computer make sure you know it is what you want. If all you really need is a $200 computer then buy the $200 computer and use the rest for a nice dive trip. :)

My best move was going to all the shops in my area, meeting the staff and seeing who I liked and could trust. I narrowed it down to 3 shops, bought all my basic gear from the closest shop and got lots of diving in. Moved and started dealing with the other shop which was closer.

All good advice. Take it from someone who did not listen to these people like I should have. I bought a full set of gear for my wife and I both. I started with all ScubaPro gear: GlidePro + Jacket BC, Spectra Mask, Mk11/C300 reg's, Seawing Nova's traded for Twin Jets due to too much torque on my knee, and a wetsuit. I have since traded out of or sold almost all of it and switched to a BP&W, Hollis F1 fins (too pricey should have got the DiveRite EXP's), bought a dry suit (love it) and finally I ran into a seriously good deal on a pair of brand new ScubaPro Mk25/S600's for a little more than the price of one pair with a reg case included. My point here is not that your choices aren't good but that what everyone is saying about waiting really is a good idea.

I trained in a back inflate BC, a ScubaPro Nighthawke, I hated it but that was not the BC's fault. Not one of the instructors worked with me to show me the proper way to use it otherwise I would have bought one and still be using it today. The important thing is to learn from an instructor that is going to teach you the right way first time through. I went through OW and recently took a skills workshop from an instructor here on ScubaBoard that worked with me on my trim, propulsion and buoyancy. After five dives and plenty of fine tuning plus constructive critiquing I started to understand what everybody means when they talk about how good it really feels to be properly weighted and in good trim. I felt as though I was flying underwater, it was a liberating and exhilarating experience.

Good luck in your search...interview your local shops. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum on how to choose a good LDS.

---------- Post added December 16th, 2014 at 08:23 AM ----------

Oh and I finally switched out my computer too! For both of us.

Back
Top Bottom