Another Newbie 'What About This Gear?' Post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have spent several hours researching the gear -which might seem a little silly, never having dived before. But I figure, I can read articles, reviews and Mfg white papers to learn enough for most purchases.

The Mask:

ScubaPro Synergy Trufit Twin ($129)
or
ScubaPro Spectra Trufit ($99)
scubapro-synergy-twin.jpg

Hi Joshua

I would suggest that there is no point to "falling in love" with a mask based on articles, reviews and whitepapers. It needs to fit your face well and no internet review will tell you if this is the case. If you have a local DS I would suggest taking a visit and trying on as many masks as you can or that you feel the need to.

Dave

We had ideas of cold water diving here in Ontario. So we got the Apeks XTX200. Still have the reg. Got an Atomic Cobalt, still have it.

The BCD however......The I3's sure look all cool and different but are bulky,heavy and mine was tippy. Since we travel we got ScubaPro GO's and love them even for local summer dives. Recently got rid of the I3's 3yrs later and ~15 dives on them.

We did switch fins, but only because we wanted brighter colored ones, helps to differentiate us when diving in a group. Mine are yellow, wife's bright PINK Seawing Novas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Mask needs to fit your face. That's it. Brand, model price don't matter. Nothing is more frustrating than a leaky mask. So go to a few LDS, try every mask on, buy the one fit the best. For regulator and BC, just hold on for now. Get certified first, then observe what your local divers are using, then decide on what to buy.

I would much rather pay for quality instruction than take free class piggy back on gear purchase. After all, the best "gear" is your skillset.

Mask, fins, Snorkel and boots is all i would worry about now , make sure they fit and are right for you - the DC will provide everything else you need.
once you pass then worry about the rest of the gear as most others have mentioned RENT your gear till you find what you like, I thought i wanted a Jacket BC
but when i tried the BP/W setup in the DC pool it just felt "right" and that's what i went with - I have SB to thank because i kept seeing BP/W posted everywhere
so I looked it up and asked my LDC and was shown some options

Enjoy your new found hobby

then observe what your local divers are using, then decide on what to buy.

At the same time, don't limit yourself to what those around you dive. They may have very limited exposure to different methods/diving. As an example, there are a lot of instructors who've never dived a backplate and wing, and so they steer you to what they're familiar with or what they stock rather than what might be most effective.

One of the benefits of SB is that you get a wide variety of perspectives and experience from divers in all sorts of conditions.

Get what fits, if you aren't going to be comfortable you aren't going to want to dive.

Thanks guys. These are some great suggestions. I think I will change my gear-buying strategy a bit. :wink:
-And I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions along the way.

Try some masks on!
What they said. I have an $80 mask and a $20 backup mask. Guess which one never leaks...

Since you've taken the SSI online course - https://www.seaquatics.com/ seems to be your best option unless you want to drive to Flint or Grand Rapics.
There's about 10 listed in Tampa/St. Pete for your referral. SSI Scuba Schools International - Locator

It's rare but people do fail certification. Sometimes an unexpected medical condition only pops up when you put your body under pressure. I know of one person that failed during certification because they were too nervous to successfully complete skills. They later passed with extra private lessons.

I don't think I'd spend a lot of money on new gear until you're sure you do. It loses 1/2 the value when you walk out the door with it and 1/2 more once you get it wet since your shop can't take it back to resell as new when it no longer is.

I'd personally want local service options for my regs and bc. I get Jim's point - there's options like Scubatoys in Dallas also that will turn any reg in a week but my real world experience once was having a free-flow on Thursday night testing with a 6AM Saturday morning flight. I was able to call the shop and pre-alert them, drop it off Friday morning and pick it up after work that afternoon. That's really hard to do even using overnight shipping. BC's are less fussy but there are some that have proprietary parts - like Aqualung's flat valves for example.

I don't own multiple regs where this would be less of an issue. And I want to dive with my primary gear anyway - it's why I paid the money for it.

Last edited:
JtChurch, Many shops offer discounts to students, or discounts on training for those who purchase a certain level of equipment, and the offer your local shop presents is pretty good. I respect Jim Lapenta's opinion, but not all shops are out to screw you. Those that offer value, service, competent training, and active local clubs survive and make momney, and their customers are happy. I encourage you to establish a relationship with a local dive center. Welcome to our world!
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom