Another mix/match question, emphasis on Atomic...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snobeach

Reaction score
I'm curious to understand what makes the Atomic regs such smooth breathers. Is it an equal contribution from the 1st and 2nd stages?
I think I remember reading some posts where an Atomic 2nd was used as an octo with another reg (like Apeks) and still retained it's "oh so smooth" qualities. Did I dream this? If true, Is there any good reason not to use a Atomic octo with any high quality 1st? Can brands combine (if set to same IP pressure) even if one is a diaghram type and the other is piston?

Ok, so here's another scenerio- If you had 2 regs, say an Apeks TX50 or 200, and an atomic M1 and you put the M1 2nd on the Apeks would it breathe like an Apeks or an Atomic? Or, the reverse, if you put the Apeks 2nd on the Atomic 1st, would the Apeks breathe same, better or worse than when attached to it's own 1st stage? I know this is just academic but it's got me wondering...I figure at least some of you with multiple regs will have some thoughts on this. I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

that depends.....

most regs (1st and 2nd) are tuned to each other....thats why they are sold as set....

different makes have different settings... so mixing other brands might perform better or worse or to no effect at all.

I have an atomic ti2 2nd and slapped it on the my Apeks TX100 1st...guess what...still the same performance....

experiment if u can.....but be warned....you must know what your doing...or else... :(

hey frogman, just to be sure I'm clear - I think your saying that with your atomic 2nd on your apeks 1st, you retained the performance/smoothness of the atomic? Owning both, do you agree with so many that the atomics are the smoothest breathers around? Do you like the reg better this way? Which 2nd will you ultimately use as your primary on your TX100 1st?

I appreciate your cautions and I will heed them. I will not mix/match without proper guidence. Thanks for the input!

it did perfomed well...with a little tweaking! (just little)

again, each reg is tuned for each make....

one time i tried to install a 6ft lp hose with the atomic 2nd on the atomic 1st....guess what....it didnt breathe the same, but with a little tweaking with the ip, it was working the same way as the standard hose

In my opinion, the Atomics, unaltered, are the best breathers, if not one of the best breathers. Others are the SP MK20~25 s600, Apeks....so many

Actually there are a tons of best breathers out there.... its just a matter of preference....

Just get what your comfortable with in terms of use, budget, and other needs....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom