Another lesson learned....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadrewvideo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
...only this time it doesn't involve me and some marine animal.

I got a call today from a guy I dove with last week, and he told me a story that I thought I should share. I'll keep it brief.
We did 2 dives on a morning charter (Sea tiger/K pipe), He flew to the big island the following evening (30 + hrs SI), did 6 dives over 2 days (4 then 2) and I don't know the dive stats of his dives, but he then proceeded to drive up to the volcano observatory within 8 hrs of diving. Needless to say after 4 hrs at altitude, he was evac'd to Ohau and spent, I think, about 12 hrs in the chamber.
Luckily he lives to share the tale but I thought it an important reminder to all who dive in Hawaii that driving up to any summit (Maui or the BI) after diving is WORSE than flying after diving. Planes are pressurized to 8,000 ft...both volcanos are even higher.
I am amazed how often I find visiting divers unaware of that fact.

Wow!

A few years ago there was a diver that had a safe profile and landed in the chamber. Can't remember all the details, but it turned out that he got bent because he was dehydrated and tired....Who would'a thought?...

...only this time it doesn't involve me and some marine animal.

I got a call today from a guy I dove with last week, and he told me a story that I thought I should share. I'll keep it brief.
We did 2 dives on a morning charter (Sea tiger/K pipe), He flew to the big island the following evening (30 + hrs SI), did 6 dives over 2 days (4 then 2) and I don't know the dive stats of his dives, but he then proceeded to drive up to the volcano observatory within 8 hrs of diving. Needless to say after 4 hrs at altitude, he was evac'd to Ohau and spent, I think, about 12 hrs in the chamber.
Luckily he lives to share the tale but I thought it an important reminder to all who dive in Hawaii that driving up to any summit (Maui or the BI) after diving is WORSE than flying after diving. Planes are pressurized to 8,000 ft...both volcanos are even higher.
I am amazed how often I find visiting divers unaware of that fact.

Word. We've actually planned our drive up to the Volcano in Maui based on our diving. We're going to dive on Tues and Wed, take Thu off, and then drive up to the volcano on Friday morning. If we're done diving at noon on Wed and get to the summit at 10am on Friday, it will be 46 hours after we left the water (plenty of time to prevent getting bent). I'm sure we could do it the following day, after just 22 hours, but we decided to play it safe.

Thanks for the post and the warning. I just hope more people read it and follow the advice.

Back
Top Bottom