Another J valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, I've acquired an adapter that connects two singles to make a double set. I chose this system so that I can quickly convert back to singles, should the need arise, in just a few minutes; even with full tanks. My plan is to put a J valve on at least one of the tanks, maybe both.

I've used J valves for years on singles and even on standard doubles, but never in the configuration that I'm planning. I think it will work, but i would like some input from you guys.

Using one or two J valves should work fine. The reserve on a standard doubles manifold only works on one of the tanks and it is therefore set for a higher pressure (normally about 500 psi versus the standard reserve pressure of 300 psi).

If you use two reserve valves, when you feel it hard to breathe you can first open one reserve and then open the other one when or if it is needed.

The only warning about using the adapter / converter type crossover manifold is to not lift the tanks by the crossover. They are not a very strong connection unit. The ones with the curly pig tail are particularly weak, but even the more rigid straight ones should be treated with care.

They are plenty strong to handle the pressure. Just be careful not to drop them, hit them, or apply any other types of heavy side loads on them.

Thanks, Luis.

And make sure the tanks are aligned. You do not want the connections angled in any way.

In other words, you will probably have to have one tank higher in your bands so that the orifices are straight across from eachother. You will have to have your bands a little loose to get the suicide bar in place, then tighten the bands.

Try to use bands with spacing that place the tanks as parallel as possible when the suicide bar is in place. That way all the interconnecting faces will be nice and straight with no stress on the bar and no loose sides at the o-ring seals.

You will find they are handy for the purpose you describe, but not altogether so simple to use as just slapping them on a pair of pre-banded tanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom