Another Eagles Nest fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am surprised no one is talking about a possible caustic cocktail, or even aspiration of a mouthful of water as a cause of laryngospasm or pulm edema resulting in asphyxia. If there was some water ingress into the unit, a small caustic could have caused the choking and gagging and made it difficult for him to breathe. It could also cause ongoing issues that switching to bailout may not alleviate.
Someone who seemed to know what they were talking about said he was on a prism, and they are really difficult to flood. Not something I know anything about.

Someone who seemed to know what they were talking about said he was on a prism, and they are really difficult to flood. Not something I know anything about.
Hard to flood an SF2 also, but it doesn't mean it can't happen! Like you, though, I don't know enough about the prism to say for sure one way or another. Even still, I don't think you need a full flood to get enough water in the loop to choke and gag on. Besides that, water ends up in the system from humidity no matter what. It doesn't have to be a caustic mix to cause problems with breathing. Even a small amount of water in the right spot can cause some laryngospasm, and that could explain why the diver didn't improve after switching to bailout. I just figure that while everyone is speculating, I will throw in my 2 PSI also. :wink:

Last edited:
Bad gas is also possible, sure, but it seems unusual that it didn't present until ascent,
The effects of bad gas are cumulative. I've dealt with it twice. Both times resulted in vomiting at depth. Fortunately, both were also shallow dives and fresh air was just a few kicks away. I can't imagine having to negotiate a couple hundred feet while you're choking. What a horrible way to go.

I originally stated I was sorry for the survivors of this incident, but no, on second thought I'm not. You guys knew he was only cavern certified and went with him there.

Ken, I can't see where it says the deceased was cavern certified??

Only one of the four in the group was cave trained. The rest were cavern. The cave trained was the one that had to abort due to the ADV failure.

If it flooded it could have been from any number of reasons. Improper assembly, impacting the ceiling, failed component(s).

Only one of the four in the group was cave trained. The rest were cavern. The cave trained was the one that had to abort due to the ADV failure.

If this is true, it is real bad news :shakehead:

Do we have a source for this information?

We seem to have a jumble of information, and i would love to have it sorted out. We first heard that one of the divers had trouble at depth and was sent to the surface alone. Then a subsequent news article said his trouble started right from the beginning, and he never entered the cave at all. The initial report said that "some" divers were cave certified and "some" were not. Now we hear that only one was certified for cave. If that is true, and if he never entered the cave, that would mean that three cavern certified divers entered the cave, with no cave trained diver present.

I would really like to have confirmation of this before it becomes the focus of discussion.

Reactions: Jax
yeah on facebook the guy that posted the most info said the dead diver was hypoxic and cavern trained

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom