Another Eagles Nest fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so now that names have been released, and this is going to be harsh, but true. Does it change any opinions that an overweight guys in his mid-50's, who would appear has a high stress job in investments might have just had an inopportune heart attack?

https://www.linkedin.com/in/chuckodom

Last edited:
Immersion Pulmonary Edema (I.P.E.) would be another possible medical scenario as the incident seemed to happen just after the initial descent, it would explain the choking sounds heard (unless it was meant that the choking sound was from the rebreather itself?) and would also explain why switching to OC bailout didn't solve the problem. Of course, tbone raises some good points, and there are probably a number of medical events that could have occured.

Speculating on 'medical events' may not be great for accident analysis but at least for me I'll be rethinking my own fitness level, especially after being so lazy in the off-season, and doing some more research. On a dive like this (deep and without nearby medical services) it may not have made a difference but I think there is some logic in occasionally reviewing the early signs of things like a heart attack/stroke/ipe and getting out of the water early.

Sure. They obviously had an unsafe attitude by taking an unqualified diver on a trust-me dive to eagles nest. The whole 'send a single diver with issues to the surface by themselves from 200 feet' is also evidence of that.

Where'd you read that? What I read is

Posted by Brandon Johnson on the Facebook:

4 Hypoxic/Normoxic trained CCR Divers, some cave, some cavern, entered the water as a buddy team around 12:30 EST to execute a planned dive of approx 200', circle the cavern zone on ascent, deco, and return to exit.
At approximately 12:35, Diver #1 suffered an ADV failure and aborted the dive, returning to surface.

He bailed 5 minutes after getting wet. No indication how deep or if they've even been past the narrows at that point.

Reactions: Jax
I'm re-thinking my personal fitness as well after reading this and other incidents.

Dammit. I like chocolate too...

Reactions: Jax
I'm re-thinking my personal fitness as well after reading this and other incidents.

Dammit. I like chocolate too...
honestly me too, but before this thread.

He bailed 5 minutes after getting wet. No indication how deep or if they've even been past the narrows at that point.
If they found this during predive then I agree it wouldn't be a big deal for the diver to swim ashore by himself. That wasn't what it seemed like to me initially, but your interpretation seems valid.

Immersion Pulmonary Edema (I.P.E.) would be another possible medical scenario as the incident seemed to happen just after the initial descent, it would explain the choking sounds heard (unless it was meant that the choking sound was from the rebreather itself?) and would also explain why switching to OC bailout didn't solve the problem. Of course, tbone raises some good points, and there are probably a number of medical events that could have occured.

Speculating on 'medical events' may not be great for accident analysis but at least for me I'll be rethinking my own fitness level, especially after being so lazy in the off-season, and doing some more research. On a dive like this (deep and without nearby medical services) it may not have made a difference but I think there is some logic in occasionally reviewing the early signs of things like a heart attack/stroke/ipe and getting out of the water early.

From what I've read about IPE, science has no idea what causes it, and it has occurred in athletes, even swimmers. One minute you feel fine, and the next you feel like you're drowning in your own body fluid.

I wonder if they will release the dive log from the computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom