Another dub hose reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sweetaz, thanks for the info. I bought it from an individual who said it was "fine, only dive in a pool though"??? I will try the positioning suggestion first. If that doesn't help, see if I can find anybody who wants to take a peek at it. Thanks again Nemrod and Slonda828, I appreciate it. Bill
Slow dwn just a bit...

How does it breathe above water? A properly tuned and functioning DA should produce an inhalation effort not much different than a single hose reg above water. If it breathes well above water, then the problem was most likely improper positioning of the reg. If it still feels like you are sucking a strawberry through a straw the reg needs rebuilt before it goes back in the water.

Holy cow, I should have asked this question awhile ago! OK, what's a vdh and I am using a steel 72 with j-valve. Thanks for the drawings too, I've been diving over 20 years, always used single hose regs. Daggum newbie. And thanks for the welcome! Bill

vdh:

Vintage Double Hose

vdh forum:

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/forum3/index.php

The forum at vdh is the real vintage scuba forum. All the parts you need to rebuild the regulator are available from vdh.

There is also JFYI:

Vintage Scuba Supply - Antique Diving Gear Two Hose Regulators

Everybody needs one of these:

http://www.thescubamuseum.com/products/FX 50 SALE PAGE.htm

Twenty years, eh, just a newbie, wet behind the ears, welcome, we are trying to recruit young blood to the old ways, lol, :wink:

N

In addition to proper placement, I prefer to dive in a slightly head up position, exactly the opposite of what is taught today. It puts the DH in a slightly better breathing angle and frankly it's easier to see where you are going. Too much angle and/or speed causes you to plane up but a slight angle and going slow, it works well, besides what's the hurry?

Nemrod and Herman, invaluable advice, I greatly appreciate it. Head low....hmm.:)

What Herman is saying and I observe it so as well is that experienced techie divers tend to dive feet up, legs bent at knees, frog kick, head down. A well trimmed wing/BP system seems to naturally place the diver in this position and it is my preferred position as well. However, as Herman points out, being slightly angled upward, head slightly higher, flutter kick with legs extended is more of a vintage swimming style. It does place the regulator at a somewhat better position as well.

Nem

There are a couple of things to say here. One person said to set the interstage pressure to 145 psi, but neglected to say that the DA Aquamaster is not a balanced regulator. The interstage pressure will change as the tank pressure changes. It will actually go up, so you want to set the interstage pressure to the ideal at about 500 psi tank pressure. If you do that, this is a very good breathing regulator.

It probably does not need new springs, or a new seat unless it is leaking. It may need a new diaphragm, and then if you can get the silicone ones, that will make it even better. You will need new non-return valves, a new duckbill exhalation valve, and perhaps new hoses (depending upon their condition). If you haven't done your own regulator repair, this is a different type of regulator and it would be best to either send it to Vintage Scuba Supply or Vintage Double Hose.

It took many years for the single hose regulators to beat the DA Aquamaster.

I see that you are diving a single 72 tank with this system. You would be well-advised to get a yolk connector, and dive twin 72s, as the twin tank system places the regulator between the shoulder blades, which is the ideal position for a double hose regulator. You may need to get a band system to make that happen, and the old military harness is better than the newer backpacks, again because of the position of the regulator. The military harness places the regulator right on your back, whereas the backpacts place the regulator away from your back by up to three inches, which is an increase of 3" of negative water pressure you have to overcome to breath.

SeaRat

Last edited:
There are a couple of things to say here. One person said to set the interstage pressure to 145 psi, but neglected to say that the DA Aquamaster is not a balanced regulator. SeaRat

In all honesty John, if he does not know the supply pressure at which to set his IP, then he either needs to ask or take his regulator to someone like Bryan Pennington to get it serviced. Furthermore, if he has the manual, it tells him that 500 PSI is the standard supply pressure. Repairing dive gear is like literary criticism, there is a certain amount of implied understanding on the part of the reader (or end user). You can tell from a mile away that you were in the military.

After trying the "how does it breath out of the water" trial, I will send it to either Vintage Scuba Supp or Vintage Dub Hose. Thanks to all for the great suggestions and advice! Cheers! Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom