Another dub hose reg ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note to all, Slonda was in the military, :wink:.

N

If you're going to send it to Bryan at vintage double hose, you might seriously consider a phoenix nozzle upgrade instead of just a rebuild. The phoenix nozzle is a balanced first stage based on the royal aquamaster nozzle modified for higher performance and has LP and HP ports. The reason for considering it now is that this a rare moment when there are several phoenix nozzles available. They're designed by an intrepid engineer/dive enthusiast/wild man who frequents this board and vdh, made in small production runs, and they are not often available immediately.

Getting the phoenix upgrade as well as a rebuild and silicone replacement parts from vdh will totally change the reg. It's not cheap, but it also would hold it's value really well. I recently did a comparison dive between two aquamasters that I rebuilt, one with a phoenix, and one with the stock nozzle, and there's a big difference in the way they breathe, more than I thought there would be. It's not that the stock aquamaster is hard to breathe, in fact at low tank pressures the cracking effort is more or less the same. But under heavy load, like swimming hard against a current, the phoenix delivers a lot more air.

There is also the Luis Special, "Twist-O-Matic" DHDSV! I was able to test dive it at the "You Are Doing It Wrong" SDV. I am still alive to tell of the story so all is good.

N, DIW diver (Do It Wrong)

In all honesty John, if he does not know the supply pressure at which to set his IP, then he either needs to ask or take his regulator to someone like Bryan Pennington to get it serviced. Furthermore, if he has the manual, it tells him that 500 PSI is the standard supply pressure. Repairing dive gear is like literary criticism, there is a certain amount of implied understanding on the part of the reader (or end user). You can tell from a mile away that you were in the military.

Slonda828,

What was the give-away about the military? :wink:

SeaRat

If the Phoenix nozzles are available, by all means have that done. My DA Aquamaster was converted a couple of months ago and I love it. I am patiently waiting until I can dive it again...

Not only will you get a balanced regulator but you will get ports. You can have an octo, power inflation and an SPG using all the usual stuff. Well, except the HP hose has to have a 3/8" fitting so you need a Trident A103 (28") or A33 (30") {I think the 30" will work better} and you can order these through your LDS. No more than about $20. The HP hose will be coming out the bottom of the nozzle and the hose will just clear the neck of the tank. As a result, it doesn't route the same way as your existing hose. I think it needs a little more length. You can also get 32: and 36" custom ordered or 40" as a stock item (too long).

There are also adapters from 3/8" male to 7/16" female but I didn't choose to go that way. Trident AA51 is such a device. I don't know if it causes the HP hose to push hard against the tank.

Richard

The Phoenix nozzle threads nor the body threads are indexed. The result means that each nozzle will thread in and tighten with a slightly different orientation. I like all three of my Phoenix units identical therefore I shim the nozzle on each to have the nozzle tighten in the same orientation. I set mine such that one LP hose port exits directly right and the opposing HP port exits directly left, in other words a 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock clocking. There is no right or wrong, this is what I like, this clocking also has the LP port at 2 o'clock perfectly oriented for an LP inflator hose to go over my shoulder. YRMV

N

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom