Another choose my first reg thread - Deep6 or XTX50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the great info!

1) Very tempted to get the Deep6 stuff but a little hesitant due to their newness. Can anyone comment on the quality control they've implemented? Will they test my reg after they assemble it and before they send it to me? Can anyone comment on if the basic reg design is the same as the HOG and/or Apeks with some minor tweaks in materials or are there critical pieces that are complete new designs? Is the service kit the same as the HOG with some minor tweaks in materials? Does this mean a HOG kit and process would work but it would drop the service interval down to 1yr/100dives?

2) I see a lot of people with Apeks saying they would replace with D6. Presumably, this is partially performance and partially service. I wonder if a good approach is to start with something like Apeks that the shop is servicing and then a few years down the road when I'm more confident with the gear go with something a little more independent. Of course, I MUCH prefer the strategy of buy once, maintain it well and use it forever...but that also plays into my configuration question which is next...

3) One approach is buy the configuration for right now (Yoke, 40" primary/donate, 22" backup on a necklace) and get tech 1st stage + 7' hose if I end up going tech. The second approach would be to get a configuration I can grow into IFF I go tech which I'm not totally sure about yet (7' hose and DIN with adapter). The latter kind of appeals to me, but at the same time I really like to keep things simple and I have yet to encounter a DIN tank...I'm leaning towards getting a D6 setup with the modified recreational config (Yoke, 40" and 22") as it perfectly suits my diving today...

Yes, we test prior to shipping and assemble.

The D6 first stage is not a apeks clone..you could say the first stage is a tweak on the HOG reg that i brought to market (the D3 HOG) There are some improvements in materials, performance and the HP ports are angled different

The second stage is a improvement over the HOG, which I improved over the apeks OEM it was a clone of. The Deep 6 second stage has a unique higher performance and easier servicing LP poppet as well.

Seriously, you can't go wrong with the Apeks from DRIS, but I am also very confident that you'd be happy with us. That said, if you have too many questions/concerns about buying from a new brand, get the Apeks, you don't need to be second guessing your buy. It doesn't help you or us. It's better for both of us for you to be kicking yourself for not jumping quicker than wondering if you jumped too soon on a "unknown".

? Is the service kit the same as the HOG with some minor tweaks in materials? Does this mean a HOG kit and process would work but it would drop the service interval down to 1yr/100dives?

why use HOG service kits? First service is free on us and parts are free if sent to us for service...

If you are concerned about us going out of business..yeah you could get a HOG service kit and use it.

I obviously am not too worried about that... :)

One approach is buy the configuration for right now (Yoke, 40" primary/donate, 22" backup on a necklace) and get tech 1st stage + 7' hose if I end up going tech.
Not exactly sure what you mean by the above but are you thinking you will not be able to use the yoke 1st stage when you go for tech training? Even if you get a yoke reg now, in most cases, you can have it changed to DIN (definitely for the brands you are looking at). You'll need to buy a 2nd DIN 1st stage anyway for doubles and tech but you will be able to use your existing reg too. I'm getting my Apeks regs converted to DIN right now as I'm probably going to move to doubles next year.

The second approach would be to get a configuration I can grow into IFF I go tech which I'm not totally sure about yet (7' hose and DIN with adapter). The latter kind of appeals to me, but at the same time I really like to keep things simple and I have yet to encounter a DIN tank.
7' hose is not difficult to handle at all. Not trying to convince you to get this versus the 40" but just want to tell you that managing a long hose is also quite simple and you get the hang of it pretty quickly. You could also get both hoses and try them out - worst case you end up with a spare to take with you on dive trips.
For renting tanks in the Bay area, you should be able to get tanks with DIN valves pretty easily if you let them know when you're reserving them. For travel I'm going to carry a spin-on yoke adapter - for me, this is warm water and the extra 1/2" added by the adapter is more than offset by being able to wear a thin wetsuit.

Let me know if you want to go diving sometime - I have an extra Apeks single tank longhose reg setup if you want to try it out.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info!

2) I see a lot of people with Apeks saying they would replace with D6. Presumably, this is partially performance and partially service. I wonder if a good approach is to start with something like Apeks that the shop is servicing and then a few years down the road when I'm more confident with the gear go with something a little more independent. Of course, I MUCH prefer the strategy of buy once, maintain it well and use it forever...but that also plays into my configuration question which is next...
Apeks is too expensive nowadays and is own by Aqualung. Getting the spare parts is NOT easy.
Deep 6 is just the opposite.
Try the other way ie buy Deep 6 first and draw your own conclusion.

Thanks everyone for all the help and info! Time has come and gone to pull the trigger and....An orange box is on the way!!

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll be very happy. Please post back with your impressions. Photos would be nice too.

Apeks is too expensive nowadays and is own by Aqualung. Getting the spare parts is NOT easy.
Deep 6 is just the opposite.
Try the other way ie buy Deep 6 first and draw your own conclusion.

It's impossible to get SP parts here, but I can get Apeks, Tusa and AL parts through "official" channels with relative ease, albeit expensive. It's an open offer to anyone who needs parts. Shipping from Japan for small items is very reasonable, unlike USPS.

why use HOG service kits? First service is free on us and parts are free if sent to us for service...

If you are concerned about us going out of business..yeah you could get a HOG service kit and use it.

I obviously am not too worried about that... :)

I have never met Chris (cerich), but have found his attitude and willingness to share information very refreshing. (just from my pov) he has been very transparent in an industry that seems universally restrict access and information.

For renting tanks in the Bay area, you should be able to get tanks with DIN valves pretty easily if you let them know when you're reserving them.

FWIW, my daughter dives a HOG DIN reg and lives in the Bay area. She keeps a Yoke adapter, but has not had any problem renting DIN, steel tanks locally.

You bet I'll be posting photos and impressions for you all. Elgoog, thanks for the offer! I got the 40" hose, so how about I dive your 7' hose to check it out and you take the Deep6's for a spin!?

As much as I would feel cooler and more core if I got DIN, I went for YOKE since I think it will just be simpler for now. So far, about half or my diving has been on travel and 100% has been on YOKE rental tanks...and I just picked up an alu 80 for $25 on Craigslist...also YOKE...I know we could debate this forever and I know I'm likely to order a DIN second stage...or two...

I got the 40" hose
Get a couple of 90 Degree Swivel Adapter, LP 2nd Stage: 9/16-Inch M x 9/16-Inch F or the corresponding 70deg one if you don't have it already. It will make routing with the 40" hose much nicer.

As much as I would feel cooler and more core if I got DIN, I went for YOKE since I think it will just be simpler for now. So far, about half or my diving has been on travel and 100% has been on YOKE rental tanks...and I just picked up an alu 80 for $25 on Craigslist...also YOKE...I know we could debate this forever and I know I'm likely to order a DIN second stage...or two...
Yeah, don't overthink DIN vs yoke - especially since you already bought it :wink: Yoke makes sense for what you've described your diving is like now and it's pretty easy to convert your 1st stage to DIN later if you see the need. I had to have my LDS order it for my Apeks and swap it out during service but I'm pretty sure Deep6 will sell you the part directly when you want it (@cerich can confirm if this is accurate)

I think you made a good choice going with Deep6 for a new purchase. If I was in the market for new regs I would have done the same.
I'll PM you for diving - may be going this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom