Another choose my first reg thread - Deep6 or XTX50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK. Good to know. Honestly, 7' seems a bit excessive when I know I'm not going to be in mandatory single file exit any time soon...Deep6 doesn't have the option of a 5' hose or 90 or 120deg swivel on their site. Is it easy to switch out to a different swivel?

You can contact them and ask for a 5' hose instead. It is offered as an option for the "2nd stage only" product but not the reg set.

Here is a great deal on a top of the line reg set that just popped up here on SB. I am full up on regs or I would be tempted to grab it.

For Sale - Atomic Z2

So, I was under the impression that the Z2 was not really the choice for cold and dirty water - not diaphragm, not sealed. Less of an issue to me is that it seems the maintenance on atomic, especially for sealed first stage is both more complicated and more expensive. Is that not the case or should these be overlooked considering superior performance? My LDS pushes the M1 hard but there is an obvious cost there and based on everything I've read here, I'm not yet convinced it's worth shelling out the $$$. If I do go this route, I could get another Z2 2nd stage only at my LDS for 20% off to complete that package...

There was an atomic b1 din going for 160 on Craigslist in Dublin, think it sold already though

The hog d1 classic set is also worth a look. I think that runs around 325 with spg and hoses currently at dris

Yeah, the DRIS HOG cold setup for $325 also seems like a great deal. When I add an SPG and hose it's $428 so same basic ballpark. When I talked to their salesperson they said the difference between the Apeks and HOG in terms of ease of breathing will be noticeable (Apeks being better). Sounds like its a combination of the design of the first stage of the HOG and the weight of the second stage. Is this just hand waving and up selling or is there something to this?

I may have found a good solution:

I found a deal for two TX50's with the sealed swivel first stage (yoke). I'm guessing it's the same deal that DRIS had for $300. This guy want's $325 and says they've been in storage for a year but are otherwise new (he has 4 sets). This seems almost like a slam dunk at the moment...Any reason I should avoid (100% positive feedback after 220 transactions, his other items being mostly service kits - he's probably hanging out in the DIY forum right now!)?

Edit to add, this is probably him, ha!:
For Sale - APEKS X50 Reg Setups

Last edited:
i own several sets of apeks regs that i dive most of the time, but also own two sets of hog regs. the hog regs dive just fine and with proper adjustment and tuning it is hard to tell a significant difference. tx50s still perform well too, so the difference would be you get a warranty in case there is a problem with the hogs and it is easier to get service kits if you end up going diy. the apeks is going to be easier if you want to get them serviced at dans or aws.

Great first hand feedback, thanks! When I look at HOG, I don't see a lot of advantages over Deep6 other than HOG is a more established brand. It seems like they've done some careful materials selection within the Deep6 regs to give them an advantage over the HOG counterparts (again, maybe just good for marketing, I don't know) ...I've been bitten before by buying the first year of a new car design...But I'm tempted...

If I was in your position with what I know now, I'd go with deep 6 without hesitation. You may be hesitant to service your own regs, but being that you are mechanically inclined, I'd suggest talking to deep 6 about the investment in time and tools for doing such. You may find in the time you spend to and from the post office, you may have serviced your own reg.

My plans are to use deep 6 when I have my own dive op. I have no affiliation with deep 6. I did check out their booth at DEMA and was impressed by the quality of the products I saw, their professional attitude towards the products they develop, and their desire to meet the needs of small operations and individual customers.

Thanks Kosta! Really appreciate that type of speaking from experience. Very tempting that Deep 6 gear! Plus I'd get it all done for under $400...

There is the other new and known option on DRIS I just put together and realized was less than I thought:
TX50 1st and 2nd $260, Titan Octo $90, DR spg $60, HP hose $30 = $440. Seems pretty reasonable and on par w/ price.

I think the new TX50 + titan + warranty for $350 is a little more attractive than newish dual TX50's for $325 no warranty...

Well... my vote is go with the Deep 6, but I'm biased. lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom