Another choose my first reg thread - Deep6 or XTX50?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think you can go wrong with either Deep6 or HOG. I personally would not hesitate to run with either. I own several sets of Poseidon and HOG regs and plan to take the TDI service class asap. If I was not already neck deep in HOG regs, I would seriously consider the D6 option. I really like an equipment manufacturer that does not discourage the end user from learning how to service and maintain gear.

FWIW.. You may want to call some of the dealers directly. I am hearing about to very competitive "Black Friday" pricing. I bet you could beat that '$428' quote for a single tank set up if you put a little effort into it.

:)

The current price on the Deep6 is hard to beat. Chris is a stand up guy and I've no doubt they are great regs. My only concern, sorry for the pessimism, is what happens re parts if Deep6 doesn't take off, which by the way I hope it does. I'm rooting for them.

The current price on the Deep6 is hard to beat. Chris is a stand up guy and I've no doubt they are great regs. My only concern, sorry for the pessimism, is what happens re parts if Deep6 doesn't take off, which by the way I hope it does. I'm rooting for them.

Thanks for the support, I wouldn't worry about part availability, we are doing well so far. lol

If I am in the market to replace all my ageing Apeks, Deep 6 will be first in my list.
Perhaps I ought to try G260 first and see if it beats my TX50.

If I am in the market to replace all my ageing Apeks, Deep 6 will be first in my list.
Perhaps I ought to try G260 first and see if it beats my TX50.

Hate to admit it but I thought the G260 was a nicer breather than both my XTX and ATX. I also think the older G250 is a little smoother than Apeks, not necessarily better but smoother if that makes any sense.

Last edited:
I do think the G260 is a better made second stage, more robust and the adjustment knob doesn't foul as often or quickly as Apeks, tighter tolerances perhaps.

Last edited:
Haha! The shop where I am in Oregon right now has the MK17 G260 for $400...I could pair that up with...the $90 titan from DRIS I suppose...We really need a monterey regulator demo day...

i am not a fan of the mk17 because you can't get a fifth port on that for doubles/sm later on. mk25 evo is a better choice unless if you really need the dry sealing

Thanks for all the great info!

1) Very tempted to get the Deep6 stuff but a little hesitant due to their newness. Can anyone comment on the quality control they've implemented? Will they test my reg after they assemble it and before they send it to me? Can anyone comment on if the basic reg design is the same as the HOG and/or Apeks with some minor tweaks in materials or are there critical pieces that are complete new designs? Is the service kit the same as the HOG with some minor tweaks in materials? Does this mean a HOG kit and process would work but it would drop the service interval down to 1yr/100dives?

2) I see a lot of people with Apeks saying they would replace with D6. Presumably, this is partially performance and partially service. I wonder if a good approach is to start with something like Apeks that the shop is servicing and then a few years down the road when I'm more confident with the gear go with something a little more independent. Of course, I MUCH prefer the strategy of buy once, maintain it well and use it forever...but that also plays into my configuration question which is next...

3) One approach is buy the configuration for right now (Yoke, 40" primary/donate, 22" backup on a necklace) and get tech 1st stage + 7' hose if I end up going tech. The second approach would be to get a configuration I can grow into IFF I go tech which I'm not totally sure about yet (7' hose and DIN with adapter). The latter kind of appeals to me, but at the same time I really like to keep things simple and I have yet to encounter a DIN tank...I'm leaning towards getting a D6 setup with the modified recreational config (Yoke, 40" and 22") as it perfectly suits my diving today...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom