Suggestion Anonymous Forum for Accidents/Incidents ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
ianr33

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A fairly common thread on Scubaboard is where somebody posts about a near miss they had. The first few replies congratulate them on surviving a scary experience.The next replies point put that what happened was inevitable due to lack of training/gear/general idiocy. Original poster feels insulted and hits back.Thread rapidly goes downhill.

While this is as much fun as watching a trainwreck it is not very constructive.

So. How about allowing the anonymous reporting of accidents/incidents? this is done at Cavediver.net http://www.cavediver.net/irap/irap_frm.htm and seems to me to be a good way of admitting to screwups/genuine bad luck without it getting personal.

People would be more likely to post if they had the option of doing so anonymously which should result in a better distribution of information,which is all that matters at the end of the day.

Yeah, if you make it anonymous, the OP will still want to repost on it, to explain, maybe defend. I've posted my two stupid dives survived on here (nope, just two - that's my story, and I'm sticking to it), explained and defended - finally admitted mistakes and learned.

We're already anonymous enough on the board with our Usernames. If a poster wants to describe a dive made, then the critics upset him/her - at least s/he doesn't have to worry about his/her real name being tied to the story. We could all look to being kinder in our discussions and suggestions, but ultimately the OP needs to learn to learn from criticisms, or keep his/her mouth shut about personal dives and learn from others' mistakes. Surely they all know that it's a discussion board, where ppl discuss...??

Good suggestion, but nah...

ReefHound:
Most of the time these stories are related by a new member. Aren't they already pretty anonymous? The only info in their public profile is what they choose to put there.

The only problem I have with channeling anonymous posts through mods is usually the OP leaves out or isn't clear about lots of relevant details, leaving people guessing "who was their assigned buddy, did you have a computer, etc.". Will the mods relay these and get the updated answers?

That would clearly depend entirely on the mod. You have some that would post a response or two from the anonymous poster then you have other mods that try to stay out of anything remotely confrontational. Remember, it is their call.

DandyDon:
We could all look to being kinder in our discussions and suggestions,

Mmmm, not so sure about that. Some people remind me of a small number of my past employees, or more exact, my kids. You can tell them something over and over in twenty different ways but it doesn't matter. Sometimes some people, or situations, call for the in your face way :ne_nau:

Missdirected:
Mmmm, not so sure about that. Some people remind me of a small number of my past employees, or more exact, my kids. You can tell them something over and over in twenty different ways but it doesn't matter. Sometimes some people, or situations, call for the in your face way :ne_nau:
Pehaps so - if any of use were the boss or parent of the poster. I think we ARE supposed to be more courteous here. I try...

I think the mods are busy enough as it is. Hate to see any of them get more posts to work on.

I don't think we can solve a human nature issue with software.

It's a message board - that said if something is really working well somewhere else than it should be adoptable here.

Cheers

It's a message board - that said if something is really working well somewhere else than it should be adoptable here.
NetDoc told me a funny story after Deam last week. Said he was asked why SB worked so well. His reply: "I don't know. The members do it" He added that the key is not to try to run the board, just keep it within Tos.

Well, I hope I quoted him correctly... :)

DandyDon:
Pehaps so - if any of use were the boss or parent of the poster. I think we ARE supposed to be more courteous here. I try...

You missed it *duck plane overhead* :) It is a kind/type of person, not their relation to me.

Missdirected:
You missed it *duck plane overhead* :) It is a kind/type of person, not their relation to me.
Nope, got it. Just don't think that approach is appropriate here, since we're not bosses nor parents to anyone here....

DandyDon:
Yeah, if you make it anonymous, the OP will still want to repost on it, to explain, maybe defend. I've posted my two stupid dives survived on here (nope, just two - that's my story, and I'm sticking to it), explained and defended - finally admitted mistakes and learned.

We're already anonymous enough on the board with our Usernames. If a poster wants to describe a dive made, then the critics upset him/her - at least s/he doesn't have to worry about his/her real name being tied to the story. We could all look to being kinder in our discussions and suggestions, but ultimately the OP needs to learn to learn from criticisms, or keep his/her mouth shut about personal dives and learn from others' mistakes. Surely they all know that it's a discussion board, where ppl discuss...??

Good suggestion, but nah...

I agree with Don. And actually, I just posted an incident on the Near Misses/Lessons Learned Forum last week. It was my first post to that forum, and I was quite impressed at the responses that I received. I only had to clarify a few things, but nobody threw me under the bus, and I even got some kudos responses. I thought it went quite well, frankly! :wink: It also seemed that my responses were mostly from the well known/well respected bunch of SBers. I wouldn't be discouraged from posting there if the need ever came about again.

Back
Top Bottom