Lumba Lumba – Pulau Weh – Serious Safety Concerns – and a dangerous incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
my boyfriend and I dived and stayed at Lumba Lumba for over 2 weeks. Granted the conditions were not pristine in the dive shop but what can you expect for a place so far from anywhere...
Actually you can!! Go to Malapasqua and dive with Exotic, they are similarly remote, and even tho the restaurant itself is just sand with no floor, the dive shop and gear area is pretty much pristine compared to here, and cleaned regularly.
Seems far too many people accept the argument, well that's whats its like over there. It doesn't have to be that way

Actually you can!! Go to Malapasqua and dive with Exotic, they are similarly remote.

Malapascua is not as remote as Weh. Malapascua is much more developed and has the Philippines' second biggest city within easy reach. Getting supplies to Weh is much more difficult. Cebu is a vast metropolis compared to Banda Aceh... The logistics of running a dive shop on Malapascua are much more simple...

Malapascua is much more developed .

:no:..this is the village next to Exotic, this makes even Gapang look industrialised........

Attachments

• P2110247.jpg
    P2110247.jpg
    414.7 KB · Views: 356
If you can get the high quality compressor set up as described, get dive cylinders and scuba rental equipment, I am sure you should be able to get fire extinguishers etc.

:no:..this is the village next to Exotic, this makes even Gapang look industrialised........

No, that has absolutely nothing to do with being 'industrialised'. It shows some of the poverty the locals might live in, but the same sights are very similar on Weh, but you 'chose' not to put up a picture of the locals' accommodation (or the tourist accommodation, for that matter) on Weh for comparision. Maybe compare the resorts/accommodation - how common is air-con on Weh ? Or the restaurants - how common is 'western food' on Weh ? What I said earlier related to getting the supplies needed for a dive centre to the centre. Weh is way more remote, and if you can't see that, then perhaps you're even more blinkered than you are already appearing... I have worked at dive centres on both islands and know first hand how much easier it is to replace something as simple as fin straps on Malapascua.

I have worked at dive centres on both islands and know first hand how much easier it is to replace something as simple as fin straps on Malapascua.
go back to why Exotic was brought into this

Exotic gearing up area is cleaner than LL, at the time of my visits to both both places.

So just because you are on an island doesn't mean the place cant be clean and tidy.
i could have posted pictures of Pulau Weh, but they would be similar to Malapascua. It was you claiming that Malapascua is far more civilised, i just demonstrated how civilised it was. ok i made a joke about industrialisation. But Weh itself is a much bigger island, it takes best part of an hour to drive from the Port to Gapang. Malapascua can be walked around in a similar time! There arent even any vehicles on Malapascua.

I would say the tourist accomodation at LL is better than Exotic, the rest of the accommodation in the area is questionable

But does being remote make the fire any less avoidable? If anything being more remote means you should take greater care of safety.

Ton you have stepped up, and all divers like safety on there trips, I am in the water a serious amount of time right now so no time to read all.

I will mention that smoking is always going to be a matter divers do not like, always be polite and address smoking situations, it will be a better outcome by end of trip.

I have seen divers so upset when the smokers on bow and smoke draw back before diving.

Other than that it was an unfortunate that a guest and employee got hurt, yet all are fine.

If anything you have gotten more exposure for your dive destination, despite the accident. honestly put up dive pics to show the dives the unhappy divers were on and let it be known that things happen all the time.

Happy Diving

But Weh itself is a much bigger island, it takes best part of an hour to drive from the Port to Gapang. Malapascua can be walked around in a similar time!

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise you were one of those poor males who think everything is related to size. Yeah, for sure Weh is bigger, but about 95% of it is virgin rainforest, covering mountainous/volcanic topography. Malapascua is a small, very flat island with a much higher percentage of the land being accessable/developable/developed. The size is completely irrelevant, but could prove misleading to people who have never been to either. FACT of the matter is Weh is far more remote.

How many dive centres are there on Weh ? How many dive shops are there in Banda Aceh ? How many dive suppliers are there in Banda Aceh ? How many chandlers are there in Banda Aceh ? Now ask the same questions about Malapascua and Cebu, and that will give you a much better idea of which island is more remote, and thus logistically more difficult to operate on, than any size comparision ever will....

pulau_weh_big.jpg

Which ton are you

Uh, me too - quite so. If you suspect fraudulent postings in their support, you can request that SB staff check the IPs of the posters.

Feel free to check my IP address, Albion. I have nothing to hide. I am not Ton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom