Ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Me thinks you have no idea what I am saying as I have absolutely 100% in agreement with divers trying to improve their buoyancy skills and watermanship.

But you seem to think if someone has spent a lot of time and effort into being as good as the person in the video, to tell others that it is achievable is big noting themselves? That does not seem very encouraging to me.

I just realised you have never met her whats with that? Tell you what I will change my profile to say I have 10,000 dives, cert level Super Diver Tech Instructor, and my occupation Brain Surgeon.

How is that relevant to how I read her post in the context of other stuff that I have read? You can change your profile if that is what makes you happy.... I will say, I have met and dived with many people from Scubaboard and no one yet has overinflated their ability and experience on the forums. I am sure there are some, but it is very uncommon (and I'd say more so in long term posters), so I tend to assume people are what they say they are. :)

As a newbie. I could use more advice about the OP and the ankle weights, and less information about ones opinion on anothers abilities.

Can we get back on the original topic? Please.

JamMan, to help avoid using ankle weights:
-move tank lower
-switch to stainless steel backplate (this helped me in particular)
-use negative fins (though ankle weights are cheaper :wink:)
-if in drysuit you can try gaiters
-do a weight test to see if you are properly weighted
-wear your weight on a belt rather than in trim pockets

Failing that, try ankle weights. I wear them with my drysuit, and sometimes in my wetsuit if I am doing a very shallow dive (I can have 13mm of neoprene around my ankles and my feet are very floaty normally...) and I want to be taking a lot of photos.

Hope that helps. (btw, few topics stay completely on topic here, just something you'll have to get used to :))

Thanks for the reply. I wore ankle weights in certification. I have purchased a DO SS BP/W hoping to redistribute my weight by centering more towards my back I also have OMS Quick dumps that I have sitting back towards the plate.

I want to minimize my weight needs to make myself a little more efficient and lighter on my feet for shore dives as well.

Last edited:
For clarification: I am not, and never will be anywhere near the diver Andrew is. He is an extraordinarily talented and very broadly experienced man, as well as being intelligent and well-educated. Andrew is someone who thinks a 300 foot dive is the preparation for penetration of an unknown cave. That's not me.

BUT -- Yes! I can sit that still in the water. And you can, too, if you work at it. The DM who's been working with Peter and me on the recent classes told me today that he thought it would help if I breathed occasionally, or moved something, so the students would know I was alive :) I found that an incredible compliment.

But the fact is that most of the people I dive with can sit that still, or very close to it; it is very simply a skill that you have to learn and practice. It's not magic, and it's not restricted to Uber-talented divers.

First get to the bottom of what is floating. Is it you (fat legs,) is it your fins (positive buoyancy,) or is it improper weighting to high on the torso giving you the feeling that your legs are going up... when it's really your torso going down.

Nope, I am not fat, 5'6 138 lbs. :D That's me in my avatar pic :)

It could be my weight belt is too high I am not sure, I would imagine my instructor would've noticed it if there was an issue. During my class besides the weight belt I also had weights in the BCD pockets which are higher up, now that I think of it perhaps that could be a problem? Looking forward to see what happens next weekend in the ocean, I will keep these suggestions in mind.

Nope, I am not fat, 5'6 138 lbs. :D That's me in my avatar pic :)

It could be my weight belt is too high I am not sure, I would imagine my instructor would've noticed it if there was an issue. During my class besides the weight belt I also had weights in the BCD pockets which are higher up, now that I think of it perhaps that could be a problem? Looking forward to see what happens next weekend in the ocean, I will keep these suggestions in mind.

Do you mean trim pockets? Those pockets sit either side of the tank generally. Moving that weight lower to your belt might help :)

Instructors in general do not pay a huge attention to weighting and trim, so I would not be surprised if your instructor didn't notice if your weight was positioned poorly (especially in light of the fact they did not explain trim to you).

Have you done a proper weight check? You might be carrying excess weight, which won't help.

Andrew is someone who thinks a 300 foot dive is the preparation for penetration of an unknown cave. That's not me?

I find it hard to believe anyone would look at a Technical dive of this nature so lightly, this is a very complicated dive which would require some very advanced planning, in addition a 300ft dive versus a cave penetration dive I do not understand the comparison two completely different dives?

As for the OP's question I would only use ankle weights a last option again it another piece of equipment you have to worry about, there have been some excellent recommendations made on previous posts if you ignore the self serving comments and over inflated ego's.

My goodness, will SOMEBODY who has dived with me confirm that I can hold still in the water? My point in saying I could do it was not to toot my own horn, but to make the point that, when you look at how beautiful Andrew is, you shouldn't think, "Oh, I could never do that." Because you can. Anybody can. I am one of the least scuba-talented people on the face of the earth, and I've achieved it. It just takes time and work, and the knowledge that it is POSSIBLE.

As far as my statement about Andrew viewing a 300 foot dive as the lead-in to a cave penetration, HERE is the report of that dive. And yes, it was extensively planned, and safely executed. Andrew's amazing, and I will never be half the diver he is. But I CAN hold still :)

My goodness, will SOMEBODY who has dived with me confirm that I can hold still in the water?

Although I have not dived with Lynne, I know several divers who have and they all gave her very high marks.

One day Lynne, we will dive together!:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom