Ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Successfully completed my first 3 OW dives in Catalina on Sunday, happy to report that I did not need the ankle weights after all. As advised I moved my weight belt as low as possible and that was . I also made sure my tank was positioned center and that fixed the roll from side to side :) Thanks for the suggestions :D

Unfortunately I've developed a ear infection in my right ear and also had a lot of equalization issues :( I may have descended a bit too fast and since I was not able to equalize (Valsalva does not work for me) put undue pressure on my ears. Time to try out some Docs Pro Plugs.

Successfully completed my first 3 OW dives in Catalina on Sunday, happy to report that I did not need the ankle weights after all. As advised I moved my weight belt as low as possible and that was . I also made sure my tank was positioned center and that fixed the roll from side to side :) Thanks for the suggestions :D

Unfortunately I've developed a ear infection in my right ear and also had a lot of equalization issues :( I may have descended a bit too fast and since I was not able to equalize (Valsalva does not work for me) put undue pressure on my ears. Time to try out some Docs Pro Plugs.

Congrats on completing your OW course and being able to work through issues by just moving around what you've already got!

As for your ear issues, you will get better. Most new divers don't start equalizing until they feel the pressure in their ears - for some, it's not an issue (they can drop straight down and their ears just kind of do what they need to), while for others, it is a huge learning curve. Pre-pressurizing your ears may work wonders for you and allow you to avoid buying unnecessary accessories (docs pro plugs).

I used to have major ear issues, but now I pre-pressurize (valsalva maneuver before even coming close to water) - I do it when I get up, on the way to the dive site, while I'm gearing up, on the surface swim, just before I drop, and just after my head goes under water. I follow that up with equalizing every couple breaths on my descent....AND, I make sure on my descent, I stay fairly close to neutral - just a little negative.

If you are ever interested in diving, let me know....I see you're in socal. Also, watch out for group dives going on in the socal subforum. Welcome to your new addiction :D

Good job in completing the class and getting your OW card.:wink:

As for your equalization issues, after your infection is cleared up, try equalizing more, even before you feel any discomfort. Do it both on decent and ascent and more often.

since I was not able to equalize (Valsalva does not work for me

k374, this is a problem you HAVE to solve. You can't continue as a diver unless you can equalize -- otherwise, you can not only permanently damage your hearing, but end up with lifelong vertigo.

Have you watched THIS video? It explains a lot about ear anatomy and equalization. HERE is a nice article about equalization techniques, with a link to a good description of the Frenzel technique. Once your symptoms have resolved, see if you can head for a local swimming pool with a snorkel and do some free-diving, and play with equalization according to these different methods. You have to find something that works for you.

k374, this is a problem you HAVE to solve. You can't continue as a diver unless you can equalize -- otherwise, you can not only permanently damage your hearing, but end up with lifelong vertigo.

I was actually in quite a bit of pain sitting on the ocean floor for a few minutes after descent until my ears settled down. Infact I fear the descent so much now that I am actually wondering if I can do it again. I know it's stupid but I endured the pain because I didn't want to abort my OW dive :shakehead: I tried to actively equalize using Valsalva, but nothing really happens when I do it. Your idea of practicing equalizing technique while freediving in the pool sounds good, I will try that out and see how it goes.

Once underwater after a few minutes my ears stabilized and I was fine, I enjoyed the dive and everything went great! TBT for all 3 dives was 2:11, spent a good amount of time underneath, swimming through the kelp was kinda unerving at first, got tangled up a bit and thought my instructor was crazy for asking me to follow him.. but then got used to it, saw a bunch of stuff - horn sharks, lobsters, stingrays, moray eels and of course lots of garibaldis...it was awesome! :D

ligersandtions, that sounds good, will hit you up sometime when I get my eq issues all sorted out :)

I was actually in quite a bit of pain sitting on the ocean floor...

That's a problem. You should have not descended into pain. As soon as you feel any pressure, equalize or ascend. Pain is bad and indicates something is wrong, please pay more attention to it. Remember, you can not equalize to often.:wink:

One important point that I'm not sure many people are aware of is that, the deeper you go without equalizing, the harder it is to do. As the pressure differential between the middle ear and the outside water grows, it takes more effort to open the Eustachian tube. This is one of the places nosebleeds come from. If you begin to descend and cannot equalize, STOP!!! Go up a little and try again. Many people find it useful to pressurize their ears before even beginning to descend.

You keep saying Valsalva doesn't work for you -- have you watched the video and read the article? You may not be doing it right. If you cannot pressurize your ears with a Valsalva, can you tolerate descents to landing in an airplane? Do you do it by swallowing? Swallowing is possible on scuba, although it takes a little practice.

As for your equalization issues, after your infection is cleared up, try equalizing more, even before you feel any discomfort. Do it both on decent and ascent and more often.

Teamcasa or others... could you elaborate on this?

On descent I use the vasalva method to explicitly increase the pressure between the eustachian tubes and the ear drum, thus creating an equal pressure on both sides of the ear drum.

Obviously on ascent you don't want to increase the pressure inside the ear drum as that air is already expanding and the pressure on the outside is decreasing (i.e. vasalva on ascent is bad).

Is there some way to explicitly equalize on ascent? I generally just use the jaw-wiggle method.

I just get fed up of hearing people take every chance they get to state what great divers they are

David, you misread TS&M, plain and simple. She didn't toot her own horn, and if you spend a few minutes reading some of the 14k posts she's made here over the years, you'll see that she's one of the most humble, supportive and encouraging individuals around.

Maybe if you knew who Andrew was and the type of dives he and his peers do, you'd see how silly it sounds to equate trim to being comparable in ability.

You're free to dismiss TS&M for how you perceive her attitude, but I don't think you'll find many who will see you as being in the right on this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom