Ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

D57 -- For what it's worth, TSandM really can hang in the water in a manner similar to Andrew in that video -- but then so can I and so can many of the people with whom we dive. They ALL have several things in common (not the least of which is that we have all taken diving lessons from Andrew!) which is that we/they have worked hard, and continue to work hard, at keeping and improving our diving skills.

If you want to call this "tooting one's own horn" then I'll toot -- but we have worked hard for the privilege. I happen to love the feeling of "hanging from a string implanted in the middle of my back" which is the feeling I get when I've nailed it.

In my latest OW class I've been using Andrew's video clip as the intro to each night's class session to give my students a visual idea of what "IT" is they should attempt to achieve. I also am trying to convince them it is an achievable goal -- all it takes is the proper work.

TO THE OP -- Nothing wrong with ankle weights in my opinion (don't know about the price but at least it wasn't a "Scuba Buck"). The other solutions offered should also be examined -- "proper trim" is really all about proper gear configuration AND proper body posture -- and it comes and goes.

To TC -- DIR answer is that Ankle Weights are evil spawn and impose too much mass for proper kicking -- BUT heavy fins with coiled steel attached to them are good. I'm still waiting for the DIR answer to why heavy fins with coiled steel don't also have the problems of too much mass! Of course MY heavy fins with coiled steel attached are just perfect (for me). Nope, I would NEVER use "ankle weights" -- not ever -- don't want all that mass on my feet. (Now where is that roll my eyes figure?)

So you are saying you are as good as the guy in this video? Talk about blowing you own horn :wink:

Lynne doesn't need to blow her own horn ... I'll blow it for her.

When I met Lynne ... about four years ago ... she was a very new diver, and couldn't even do a descent without landing, tank-first on the bottom. She was a classic product of the standard dive-shop OW training.

Since then, she's worked harder at perfecting her skills than anybody I've ever known ... and if I say so myself, I know some seriously good divers.

Last month we did a three-day charter together in the Channel Islands, which included some pretty aggressive dives ... and the requisite longer safety stops in sometimes fairly heavy surge. I was admiring how far she's come, and how rock-steady she managed to hold her depth without seeming to twitch a muscle.

After the dive I commented on it ... something to the effect of "I wish I could do it that well".

Lynne's not what you'd call a "natural" when it comes to diving ... every skill improvement is the result of hard work and lots of practice. And I don't think she'll mind me saying that if she can achieve that level of skill, anybody can. It's simply a matter of how important it is to you, and how much effort you want to put into it.

The man in the video is one of her instructors ... and I'm pretty comfortable saying I think he'd agree with me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Andrew is someone who thinks a 300 foot dive is the preparation for penetration of an unknown cave. That's not me?

I find it hard to believe anyone would look at a Technical dive of this nature so lightly, this is a very complicated dive which would require some very advanced planning, in addition a 300ft dive versus a cave penetration dive I do not understand the comparison two completely different dives?
It's all a matter of perspective. When I first started doing technical dives I thought a basic 150-foot deco dive was complicated. It needed planning, charts, backup plans, and lots of stuff in my wetnotes to refer to in case anything went wrong.

Today that same dive is so routine I hardly give it a thought. Oh, the same planning goes into the dive ... but after you've done it several times, the planning is mostly internal. The 150-foot dive then becomes nothing more than preparation for the 200-foot, two-bottle deco dive. Now do a few dozen of those and they become nothing more than preparation for the 250-foot, three-bottle dive with a scooter ... which in its turn becomes nothing more than preparation for the 300-foot dive with mutiple stages and two scooters.

And so it goes.

I know people who've been diving on wrecks in the 250 to 300 foot range for 30 years. For those people, those dives ... while complex to the "normal" diver ... are no big whoop.

As for the OP's question I would only use ankle weights a last option again it another piece of equipment you have to worry about, there have been some excellent recommendations made on previous posts if you ignore the self serving comments and over inflated ego's.
Those of us who know and dive with Lynne ... and I will tell you that she's probably dived with more ScubaBoarders than just about anybody on this board ... have to just laugh at the notion that someone would consider her either self-serving or egotistical.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong. If anything, Lynne needs to learn when to give herself more credit for what she's achieved ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I stand by what I said, by the way I have never disputed L's diving abilities nor anyone else on this board how could I having never dove with them? I just get fed up of hearing people take every chance they get to state what great divers they are on these forums when all the OP asked was a question about ankle weights, again there is a click on this board who'm I am sure will feel the need to run to L's side and back her up but to be quite honest who gives a s..t. I stand by what I said 100%.

Another note I am quite aware this kind of buoyancy control is achievable most of the people I dive with are required to have this ability in order to pull of some of the dives they do in case they get blown off the up line with a deco obligation in swift current and low vis conditions for example when diving the Roy A Jodrey in the St Lawrence River Brockville, Ontario.

MY ORIGINAL POST WAS ABOUT PEOPLE TOOTING THEIR OWN HORN PERIOD.

I stand by what I said, by the way I have never disputed L's diving abilities nor anyone else on this board how could I having never dove with them? I just get fed up of hearing people take every chance they get to state what great divers they are on these forums when all the OP asked was a question about ankle weights, again there is a click on this board who'm I am sure will feel the need to run to L's side and back her up but to be quite honest who gives a s..t. I stand by what I said 100%.

I am sure you realise you have totally misinterpreted her post but some how feel sticking to your very incorrect assumptions about her attitude will save face. TSandM has a 'click' because she is one of the most helpful and encouraging posters on the board. Many can vouch for this.

Posted via Mobile Device

When I was at 15 or so dives, I tried most of the fixes posted here -- body position changes, lower tank, all the weight to the belt instead of a higher pocket, low tank bands with weights. Only the position change worked enough, and that position made me resemble (and feel like) a tetanus victim. I didn't go to heavier fins because I like my fins, and I didn't try a steel backplate because it would add more weight than I had on my belt. I just plain needed the ankle weights. The increase in comfort when diving was Incredible!

Now another sixty or so dives later, I've gradually removed enough weight from the anklets that they've only got a little negative buoyancy left; but I still need that little bit to be horizontal when completely still as of last week.

So yeah, in my experience so far it may well be an issue that resolves with more diving experience -- but why the heck should you be uncomfortable and out of trim in the meantime? If I never need them again I'll still be glad I'd had them. Although I'm very glad I got adjustable ones. I've been able to reduce their weight as I no longer needed it, and I can beef them up again when I go dry.

I am sure you realise you have totally misinterpreted her post but some how feel sticking to your very incorrect assumptions about her attitude will save face. TSandM has a 'click' because she is one of the most helpful and encouraging posters on the board. Many can vouch for this.

Posted via Mobile Device

Save face? This is a forum in Internet land your in Australia what the? Save face for what? You are supposed to be able to voice your opinion on these forums as long as they are within the rules.

Anyway I have wasted enough time with this again you can post whatever you like I stand by what I said, this subject is over for me as this will end up going in circles.

Last edited:

Another note I am quite aware this kind of buoyancy control is achievable most of the people I dive with are required to have this ability in order to pull of some of the dives they do in case they get blown off the up line with a deco obligation in swift current and low vis conditions for example when diving the Roy A Jodrey in the St Lawrence River Brockville, Ontario.

MY ORIGINAL POST WAS ABOUT PEOPLE TOOTING THEIR OWN HORN PERIOD.

David ... you are completely entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be.

Lynne doesn't have a "click" ... (the word is "clique" by the way) ... she has a lot of supporters. Mostly people who have benefitted from advice she gives, and the efforts she puts into helping people improve their diving.

You're welcome to your opinion ... it says way more about you than it ever will about Lynne. She has a history and a reputation here ... one that someone like you will never be able to damage, however hard you try.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

To TC -- DIR answer is that Ankle Weights are evil spawn and impose too much mass for proper kicking -- BUT heavy fins with coiled steel attached to them are good. I'm still waiting for the DIR answer to why heavy fins with coiled steel don't also have the problems of too much mass! Of course MY heavy fins with coiled steel attached are just perfect (for me). Nope, I would NEVER use "ankle weights" -- not ever -- don't want all that mass on my feet. (Now where is that roll my eyes figure?)

I feel your pain!:wink:

Please.

Lynne is one of the most valuable contributors to this website. In part, she has allowed us to read of her diving experiences from her first scuba class - and what she has achieved in her diving is no small feat.

Back
Top Bottom