Ankle weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I'm not gonna take it. For now! I'm going diving with one of my advanced students and work with him on that very thing along with navigation. His original training left something to be desired as well which is why he came to me. But you can bet I'll address this later!

Ankle Weights? Use 'em if they help. Don't get worked up about them in any event.

It always bring a smile to my face when the ankle weight haters the recommend heavy fins.

Ankle Weights? Use 'em if they help. Don't get worked up about them in any event.

It always bring a smile to my face when the ankle weight haters the recommend heavy fins.

Yea, me too :)

Sounds like regular price where I shop. I would suggest using ankle weights if you diving in a dry suit (feet raising combined with air in a drysuit could give you trouble). If diving in a wet suit, however, I would first try shifting your tanks and weights down (as other folks suggested) before trying ankle weights.

I don't believe the PADI materials use the word trim. Trim refers to the horizontal and side to side balance of the diver. HERE is a good video about trim. Trim is important because, if you aren't horizontal, you are either feet low (in which case every kick drives you UP) or feet high (in which case, every kick drives you down). In either case, unless the position is voluntary, you are wasting energy pushing yourself where you don't really want to go. In addition, if you are feet low, you are likely to kick the bottom (whether it's coral or silt) and cause damage and problems for yourself and other divers.

I don't believe the PADI materials use the word trim. Trim refers to the horizontal and side to side balance of the diver. HERE is a good video about trim. Trim is important because, if you aren't horizontal, you are either feet low (in which case every kick drives you UP) or feet high (in which case, every kick drives you down). In either case, unless the position is voluntary, you are wasting energy pushing yourself where you don't really want to go. In addition, if you are feet low, you are likely to kick the bottom (whether it's coral or silt) and cause damage and problems for yourself and other divers.

Thanks Lynn, And yes it is so important that I stress it in my OW classes from session one. PADI obviously does not feel it is important for new divers to look like divers at the end of their OW class. Good trim is also that little thing that gets rid of that annoying habit of kneeling on something to do skills. I usually introduce this first night on scuba about 10 minutes into the class. And it;s amazing how easy it is to do when conducting discovers as well. That takes just a bit longer though. About 20 minutes into the experience when I get them neutral.

I would suggest using ankle weights if you diving in a dry suit (feet raising combined with air in a drysuit could give you trouble).

I've basically found that ankle weights will do nothing at all to prevent a problem air bubble in your feet. If anything, ankle weights tend to encourage keeping a larger amount of air in your feet than you really need. That means your feet are going to be even more unstable.

I found the the one thing that helped me the most was when I started using my BC as the primary means of buoyancy control. It means having a much smaller air bubble in your suit, and makes controlling it a heck of a lot simpler.

Tom

I've basically found that ankle weights will do nothing at all to prevent a problem air bubble in your feet. If anything, ankle weights tend to encourage keeping a larger amount of air in your feet than you really need. That means your feet are going to be even more unstable.

I found the the one thing that helped me the most was when I started using my BC as the primary means of buoyancy control. It means having a much smaller air bubble in your suit, and makes controlling it a heck of a lot simpler.

Tom
Thanks for the good point b1gcountry.
I do use my drysuit for buoyancy. This is how I was taught even though it has been a matter of lots of discussions on scubaboard, and I am considering trying to use my BC more while diving in a dry suit. If I would use my BC for buoyancy I would have less air in my feet. I like the idea. I'll practice this on my next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom