Angela Orlich Testimony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scared enough to panic, and then dumb/devious enough to think up a story to tell your friends to explain why you've got a scratch mark on your breast and the cahones to try and turn that story into a court settlement? That I can believe.

That's the same attitude that made it virtually impossible to obtain a conviction for rape until recent years. Thank goodness times have changed, and in most places it is possible to report a sexual assault without having it dismissed out of hand as some story you dreamed up to make trouble for some guy you were mad at or wanted to make trouble for.

Actually, this subthread started when I responded to your assertion that it was an illogical place for an attack - I believe a criminal issue, rather than a scuba related element.
Neither, it's an analytical element.

Snip- whether you or I think a location is logical has nothing to do with whether or not an assault actually occurred,-Snip

Oh but it does, otherwise an assault reported to have occured on a street corner (likely) would have as much merit as an assault reported to have occured while submerged in the lava of an active volcano (somewhat less likely).
If you don't belive me, then use a similair scenario, call the police and tell them there is a man with a knife threatenting you in your bedroom, then call and tell them there is a man with a knife threatening you while you are both riding unicycles blindfolded on a tightrope stretched between the shores of Niagra Falls.
Guess which one will get a prompt and earnest response from the PD? The less plausible the scenario, the less likely it was to have occured.

For example, in France, you are guilty until proven innocent.

France uses an inquisitorial rather than an adversarial legal system - that's not really the same as saying you are guilty until proven innocent.

Yeah, but is it an analytical element you are using to help you analyze the scuba aspects or whether you believe the crime occurred :D

That's the same attitude that made it virtually impossible to obtain a conviction for rape until recent years. Thank goodness times have changed, and in most places it is possible to report a sexual assault without having it dismissed out of hand as some story you dreamed up to make trouble for some guy you were mad at or wanted to make trouble for.

Oh, horse-crap!

Just because I don't believe the story as told doesn't make me a misogynist.

The story as told is not believable. Claiming that someone was taking a reg out of their mouth and trying to undress and bite a person struggling with them at depth, while turning off their air is an outrageous claim. Outrageous claims may be true, but require a ****-load more evidentiary support to believe beyond "he said/she said." Meanwhile, the woman is making claims not against the dive operation, but against the cruise line, which has much deeper pockets.

The story as presented is not believable.

What is believable is that this lady sees a way to make a buck and is trying to do so.

But go ahead and believe that everyone accused of anything is automatically guilty regardless of how twisted one's logic must be to believe the tale. It worked great for the Salem witch trials after all!

Originally Posted by grassyknoll

Yeah, but is it an analytical element you are using to help you analyze the scuba aspects or whether you believe the crime occurred

Why the SCUBA of course. Whether this was an assault or a panic-diver situation means we are looking at either an ACCIDENT or an INCIDENT. And as such, whether there are any lessons to be learned, and knowledge to be gleaned from this post/incident completely depends on the cause of the incident.
You need to take the emotionally charged sexual assault allegation element out of the account; it is polarizing the members contributing to this post and solving nothing. If instead the account came from a man, who was claiming that an instructor tried to pick his pocket at depth, and all the other elements of the story remained intact, I doubt anyone would look at the incident as much more than a panicked diver being restrained and not understanding what had really taken place.

Back
Top Bottom