anarchy in the compressor room

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
perhaps just adding nitrous oxide to keep the customers happy

It'd take at least that to make me happy watching that Cluster "Fook"

. . . Padi no longer requires gas sample checks,
didn't enforce that when they had it on the rules . . .

Don, I ask this with all due respect. Are you sure that PADI Americas no longer requires gas checks for PADI 5-Star facilities?

PADI Americas used to require quarterly gas checks for at least some PADI retailers. I don't know if that rule is still in place.

As for enforcement of rules, you raise a good question regarding enforcement. But enforcement is a different issue.

Last edited:
You've listed dangerous practices, but your information is woefully incomplete, and so far, not useful to us as divers... so let's cut to the key piece of information we all need to make your post meaningful, that is...
Where is this place, exactly?
:)
Rick

Is the Original Post a joke? Notice that the location of the poster is the Islets of Langerhans. That's a medical term.

... and note the poster's screen name and join date ... I smell a troll ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Please don't feed the troll. He's just here to get all of you upset. I've given up being fascinated with the things some people get off on....

-Charles

hello again from the original poster

many thanks for the responses, please be assured, all reading this, that my description of the working practices in this dive shop is accurate and more worthy of discussion that my apparently recent join date. few of you will be unaware that my given location is the endocrine secreting cortex of the pancreas but does that information in any way justify the acts of utter stupidity i have cataloged? i often describe my favorite dive site as the sea of tranquility, does that make o2 any safer in the hands of an incompetent?

i have posted on this forum before under my regular user name but on this occasion i used a different persona to protect the innocent, namely the staff, a significant percentage of which expressed concern over how this place is run. obviously the guilty are also thus afforded protection but my intention, at this point, is to promote discussion not to be a whistle blower. ideally i would like the shop manager to read this thread, recognize the circumstances and pull his finger out. perhaps he would take note of the responses, some of which come from respected forum members, and realize that he cannot justify or excuse dangerous practices any more than he should hold the well being of his customers in contempt: he is probably sitting in his office now, hung over, farting around on facebook or watching family guy on his laptop.

pertinent points

several divers have unknowingly dived with EAN29% in unmarked tanks without planning accordingly. they did not ask for nitrox, they expected air and they could have died. 2 instructors, a dive master and the shop manager are aware of the situation but no attempt has been made to investigate how this happened. (i wonder if the mixing of EAN and air tanks on the manifold might contribute? a practice that continues despite my raising concerns)

are there any regulations within the dive industry governing who should be filling our tanks?

should a dive shop manager make excuses for or attempt to justify such a serious error or would his efforts be better expended rectifying the situation?

is it professional for the same shop manager to suggest that it is perfectly safe to spike his customer´s tanks quoting recreational and no-deco limits as justification?

what exactly is a troll?

OK ... I'll play ...

several divers have unknowingly dived with EAN29% in unmarked tanks without planning accordingly. they did not ask for nitrox, they expected air and they could have died.

If they are diving within recreational limits, EAN29 won't kill them. In fact, it's slightly safer within those limits than diving on air.

However, they should not be diving an unknown gas under any circumstances.

I'd be far more concerned about the compressor maintenance issues. Those could have some very serious consequences ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom