Analyzing Nitrox..Do You

Do you personally analyze your Nitrox Mix?

• I never dive without personally analyzing my mix!

Votes: 153 96.2%
  • I will test it if the equipment is avialable. But have dove without analyzing it!

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I trust the LDS and do not bother with it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always check (most shops require you sign off their log) but I remember one week-long liveaboard 4 dive-a-day trip where almost everyone was diving Nitrox and the onboard membrane system was lucky to get 32% and after a few dives I just ended up diving it as air (but with an appropriate MOD) because I never reach my no decompression limits anyway and just did not want to be bothered anymore during the vacation.

After Witnessing When On A Dive Trip That Some Of The Tanks Were Filled In Proplerly I Will Never Ever Dive Without Analizing My Own Tanks

I cannot imagine anyone diving Nitrox without testing it personally. :silly: I've seen too many tests that reflected other than expected.

I personally measure my tanks before using them. If I use the shop's analyzer, I need to also see their analyzer calibrated. Otherwise, I use my own analyzer.

I also carry an analyzer on the boat, just in case there is any confusion and I need to re-analyze my tanks. What if my label falls off the tank enroute to the dive site?

I either analyze it myself or watch as my buddy analyzes it. Either way, I see what the mix is and watch as it's recorded on the tank, along with the MOD for the mix. My life is too important to me to trust to someone else.

I dive for fun, not to take unnecessary risks with my life.

:crossbone Yeap, go ahead! My LDS do anywhere from Tek to OW mixes. Go ahead and strap on a 8/60 mix without checking for O2 content first. Can you say sleep with the fish? NEVER DIVE A TANK IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT IS IN IT!

T

Must annlyze by yourself before dive, blend can be go wrong. Saft dive.

I always test it twice with two different analyzers. The one at the fill station, which I don't trust because I don't know how much abuse it has had, and my own analyzer, which I know for sure hasn't been abused.

Never trust the shop. Usually it's right but I have had an order for 32 come back as 36. My 50% fills always seem to come back somewhere between 50 and 53% and a friend of mine asked for a stage to be filled with 50% and it came back with 100% in it. The first and last case were just simple human error but they can get you in big trouble if you don't follow proper procedure and test it yourself.

If I pick up my buddy's tanks (or he picks up mine) then I'll test it at the fill station and tell him what it said but he always tests it again (as I do) and I wouldn't let him dive with it if he didn't.

R..

av8er23:
I finished a nitrox course about a month ago. I learned a lot about the gas that I had no idea about. It was a great course. I have a question though. How many of you have dived a tank of nitrox without personally analyzing it? We learned how to anaylize our mix before leaving the shop and were told that this should be done everytime you dive nitrox which I totally understand why. I had no idea that you had to do this before buying/diving nitrox. I plan on always doing this procedure but have never seen someone else doing this while I am in a dive shop. Do you guys ALWAYS do this?

Congrats. That was my first specialty that I did. I absolutely love Nitrox when I do my boat diving at sites beyond 60-70 feet. If you have poor air consumption it might not benifit you well but if your air consumption is good then it is a great help for extending bottom times.

I personally always analyze the mix on the boat. I have never seen anybody on the boats that I dive ever not analyzing their mix. The dive shop that I dive with brings their analyzer to the boat. as well as their logs, which they have to have you sign. I am not totally sure but believe that if something happens to you on their mix and you didn't analyze it then it all falls on them. If they are a good shop (as well as a shop that wants to protect themselves and you) they will provide you with the tools to measure your tank.

Back
Top Bottom