Analyzing Nitrox..Do You

Do you personally analyze your Nitrox Mix?

• I never dive without personally analyzing my mix!

Votes: 153 96.2%
  • I will test it if the equipment is avialable. But have dove without analyzing it!

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I trust the LDS and do not bother with it!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
here's a question (and i had thought of it before, Dan... not picking on you =)

why not check 21%? what if someone screwed up and gave you 36% Nitrox instead???

wouldn't it make sense to sample every tank you use?
Here, here! I've been saying this for a long time. I think even OW divers out to be taught to check air tanks to make sure they are diving what they think they are diving.

My preference is to use the shops analyzer when I pick up the tanks. Since I will usually leave the tanks for a fill I usually have some time before I am getting in the water, so I later analyze the tanks again at home with my analyzer. If the two tests are reasonably close I average the two when determining the MOD, if the two tests are not close I will re-calibrate and re-analyze and see where the error was. If I am getting a fill between dives I try to analyze it twice but may only get it once, if the once is with my analyzer and I have been careful I will usually be satisfied. I should also say that for me the last step in analyzing is to go back to my calibration gas and re-test it to see if I may have bumped the adjustment a little.

I have discovered mistakes that might have made a difference so I am really careful.

Mark Vlahos

I would NEVER dive a mix without analyzing it myself. In Cozumel, they didnt want me analyzing my own mix because it was an inconvenience for them. I told them I wanted off the boat because I wouldnt be diving that day and wanted a refund...they got me an analyzer. NEVER NEVER would I dive a Nitrox tank without analyzing it myself. That's playing Russian Roulette.

H2Andy:
here's a question (and i had thought of it before, Dan... not picking on you =)

why not check 21%? what if someone screwed up and gave you 36% Nitrox instead???

wouldn't it make sense to sample every tank you use?

I asked this very same question in my Nitrox course. If you are at a shop that fills mixed gas, it makes sense to check EVERYTHING. But here's a zinger I tossed in for my instructor.

If the shop mixes trimix as well, should you be checking helium? Or do those mistakes simple "not happen"? At my instructors fill station helium and pure oxygen have to be filled from a different location, so doing it "by mistake" would be unheard of. But other places aren't like this. Thinking you've got EAN32 when you've got 10/60 (banked one place where I fill) would be a fatal mistake.

As much as it would kill Nitrox sales, I'd like to see a nitrox analyzer made mandatory for the class. You can't take other courses without the required equipment, and I think few would argue the necessity of an analyzer for Nitrox class. The cost of the analyzer is a HECK of a lot less than the cost of some of our other items. Including tanks in some cases. I wish someone would market a reasonable one for $199.

Patrick? You listening? Good o2 sensor, big display, no frills, micro pelican case.

PerroneFord:
I wish someone would market a reasonable one for $199.

How much would you normally pay? The O2 analyzers me and most of my friends use cost about US$140.

R..

Most of the decent analyzers around that I have seen are between US$250 and US$399. Depending on features, oxygen sensor quality, flow restrictors, etc.

PerroneFord:
Most of the decent analyzers around that I have seen are between US$250 and US$399. Depending on features, oxygen sensor quality, flow restrictors, etc.

Wow. That's a big difference. ARe there cheaper ones available but you just don't like them?

R..

Diver0001:
How much would you normally pay? The O2 analyzers me and most of my friends use cost about US$140.

R..

any details where these can be found?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom