Analox EIICO giving erratic readings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have an Analoxs EIICO that is giving high number readings without being connected to anything. I tried to zero the reading but the adjustment doesn't work. I have also changed the battery but the unit is still giving the same erratic readings. Is this a sensor issue and the sensor needs replacement? If the sensor needs replacement, is Analox the only supplier for the sensor for the Analox EIICO or are there other suppliers for the sensor?

Sounds like a sensor issue to me and yes Analox is the only supplier of the sensor. I could tell you the sensor manufacturer but you'd probably have to purchase a dozen sensors at a time. How old is the sensor? I think mine lasted close to 4 years before it needed replacement.

You could try calibrating the unit but you need the proper barbed fitting plus calibration gas and a regulator at 1 lpm. As you know Analox has discontinued the unit so now is a good time to purchase a new sensor since I think the last chance will be July 2016. After that the unit will no longer be supported.

I am not sure about the exact manufacturing date of the sensor since I don't have the unit with me now but I bought it in summer of 2013. I suppose I'll be buying a new sensor in the come months before the end of this years.

Is there a shelf-life for these type of sensor just like the O2 sensors?

I just removed my sensor which was purchased in November 2012 and is still working well. I do my own calibration. There appears to be a code J10 stamped on the sensor which I wonder if it translates to September 2010 as the date of manufacturer?

In the manual it said the sensor had a 2 year graded warranty in air. Most of the end users that I know who stored the sensor in a CO-free area and used it just on weekends had the sensor last for at least 4 years. The sensor is an electrochemical cell so eventually they do run out of juice depending on age, usage, etc.

If you go to DEMA in the fall you can pick up a new sensor there.

If you go to DEMA in the fall you can pick up a new sensor there.

If there is anyone that could pick up sensors at DEMA, please post here or start a new thread. With the revelation that they won't be available after July 2016, I guess I should get one even though my analyzer still works fine.

Seriously? $257 for the sensor? I think the analyzer was about $300 and included a can of bump gas. I'm not blaming Mike, but that sensor is outrageous. Anyone using a different analyzer that found a more reasonable replacement part cost?

FWIW I pulled my unit out of the Pelican box that I store it in with my O2. The reading was very high. I attributed it to being stored in a box for a long time with some out gassing from the liner material. After a few hours it was back to normal.

Analox had a hard time with this unit. It was expensive for them to make to their standards and I understand their business decision.

FWIW I pulled my unit out of the Pelican box that I store it in with my O2. The reading was very high. I attributed it to being stored in a box for a long time with some out gassing from the liner material. After a few hours it was back to normal.

Analox had a hard time with this unit. It was expensive for them to make to their standards and I understand their business decision.

I've seen that before when a unit was stored in a pelican box for a year without opening. After leaving it on the bench overnight and recalibrating it was fine.

The sensor will also cross react to alcohols found in Sharpie pens or methanol used to clean our auto windshields. If I leave the analyzer on the car seat and clean the windshield the analyzer will read up to 10 ppm and stay that way for an hour or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom