Anacapa Condtions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantasscareme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm considering a trip to Anacapa this August, but I've heard that it's considerably colder there than most places in SoCal. I've dove Catalina with a 6-7mm suit and hood, but no hooded vest. Does Anacapa diving require more?

I was just in Anacapa this past Sunday. It was my first boat dive as well as my first dive anywhere besides La Jolla and I just loved it. The weather was absolutely perfect and the vis was about 25 feet.

Anyways, as for the water temp, I was wearing a 7mm suit and hood and didn't really get cold. I think the water temp was about 60 degrees, so it's not really all that bad. But then again, I don't get cold underwater very easily.

I didn't think it was very different temp. wise. Felt about the same as the beaches, and I get cold really easily. I just wore my 7mm and hooded vest.

I spoke with the owner/captain of the Peace this evening. He said temps were about 60 and vis was improving. Of course, this time of year conditions can ebb and flow so your YMMV. For a single day of diving, you should be fine unless you are very prone to being cold. If you are diving multiple days and multiple dives and are prone to cold, you might want a two piece 7 mil. I have done several days with several dives a day and only got cold on the last day on a 60 minute dive in 58 degree water with a two-piece 7 mil. Temps generally get colder as you go north. I am going out this Thursday and am considering wearing my 7/5 with hood for one day, 3 dives.

I dove Anacapa Thursday... it was 60 at the surface, but 52-55 below the thermocline. And at some sites, the thermocline was as shallow as 20ft! Brrrrr!

Anastasia,

I will let you know after Thursday how conditions have changed. I see you have the HydroOptix mask. How do you like it? I am not nearsighted but it appears that they have a new mask which doesn't require the wearing of contacts. I am curious about how well it works. BTW, great photos!

I use the HydoOptix mask too and swear by it! I'm naturally nearsighed enough where I don't need additional lenses in my eyes for correction- lucky me!
But this mask is wonderful- it truly does not distort distance or size and the peripheral view it gives is worth it alone. I didn't realize how much I had gotten used to seeing that way until I had to borrow a traditional mask for a pool exercise- the tunnel vision drove me nuts!
I believe they have a new model out for 20/20 vision divers. I'm not sure if it has much as much visual range as the original model, though.

Anacappa shouldn't be any colder as it is so close to the mainland,San Miguel is the furthest island out and that can get a bit cooler

In my experience Anacapa runs a little colder than Catalina. I dove Anacapa all winter and spring with 5/3 hooded vest under my 7 mm Henderson. Its getting warmer all over and Anacapa will do so a little more slowly than Catalina. On boat dives the air temperature makes a big difference in whether you warm up during the surface interval. I bet Anacapa will be very nice in the next couple of weeks but still chilly at depth. Hood is definite and I would continue to wear my hooded vest because its easier if you never get cold to begin with.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom