An Open Letter to US Dive Shops.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK people, a quick reminder...
TOS:
While we encourage discussion about a wide range of subjects, there are certain areas which elicit more animosity and subsequently far more flames. Consequently we ask that discussions involving politics and nationalities or anything of a sexual nature be reserved for other message boards that are better venues for these topics.

i agree. this isnt the place for this discussion....just noticed the date. i was wondering how this post ended up at the top?

The post that put this thread back in the limelight has been removed due to a TOS-violation.

I fully agree with this.

Your post included this:
wannabe:
Recently there has been speculation published by the FBI that terrorist want to develop SCUBA skills. It has also been reported that the FBI is asking for lists of students trained in the last 3 years.
Can anybody confirm these statements? I'd like some sources for them, if anybody knows some.

BigTuna:
I fully agree with this.

Your post included this:
Can anybody confirm these statements? I'd like some sources for them, if anybody knows some.

This all happened several years ago and I owned a dive shop at the time. PADI provided the FBI with a list of individuals who had been certified within a given period of time. The agency, however, doesn't have records of those students who haven't completed traing so the FBI contacted us requesting a list of students who had begun but not completed training. When I say they "requested" the information I mean they didn't have a court order in their hand when they showed up at the door but they made it clear that they would get one if we wanted it that way. After consulting with our lawyer, we complied with the FBI requests.

That's really all I know about the whole thing.

....just noticed the date. i was wondering how this post ended up at the top?
Ummm ... Looking at the dates on the post that made the thread resurrection, it looks like it was made by you, scuba41girl. :wink:
Old posts on related topics appear on the bottoms of the pages (scroll down for a look-see).
I've resurrected an old post or three when the topic was one of the "ageless" ones that are often repeated, such as "which drysuit is better, shell or neoprene?"

MikeFerrara:
PADI provided the FBI with a list of individuals who had been certified within a given period of time.

Some other agencies didn't roll over and play dead, they refused to release that info without a court order. A very nice agent visited me at my home we had a very nice discussion about the subject, but I also released no names. He did not threaten me with a court order, he merely thanked me for my time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom